recommendations for a nice simple cheap PLC.

dexdyne

I'd like to get into using PLCs.

I want to find one with the following capabilities

0. as cheap as possible
1. say 8 digins ( isolated, 24V etc etc )
2. say 4 digouts ( isolated 24V, maybe 40V, 500mA )
3. modbus slave operation capable
4. powered from 12V/24V

If I could get a choice of ladder and C programmability that would be excellent.

any recommendations?

TVM

David

Actually I'd look hard at anything in a box, with these interfaces which was programmed in something else than ladder. I don't know ladder, and if it used something simpler to pick up ( for me ) I might see the advantage

Not sure about meeting all the requirements, but there are several vendors that have "bricks" that have integrated IO.

Look at Automation Direct.
Rockwell may have one as well.

If you find one that you like, check around to see if anyone has one to sell. One may try ebay or other auction sites to try to obtain one.

Don't forget, most all of them will require proprietary software to program those controllers.

PLC, C and cheap.

Anyway,to program with other than ladder I found Panasonic/Matsushita FP-X, they have one at 120-240V supply (AFPX-C14R) in sale in North-America for 99USD.
24V version is 235USD.You can program in ST,I like them

Also from Horner, OCS HMI-PLC package also in ST.Never used one but you might take a look.

Allen Bradley's 10 point Micrologix 1000, 6 DC in 4 out, is less than a hundred bucks - and the software, RSLogix500 starter edition, is free - but it has the functionality to let you explore 95% of what you may ever ask a PLC to do.

If you are interested and you know linux, you can download the tarball for the Linux MatPLC, C source code for a soft PLC compile a soft PLC applicaton.

Last edited:
This is simple...

I'm surprised everyone has missed the mark on this one; I'm not a huge advocate or heavy user of them but Unitronics Vision 120 OPLC fits the bill with all the features wanted and at LESS than $300 including software, programming cable and WOW-it's an integrated HMI!!

If you go the Rockwell route, order the MicroLogix1000 starter kit (1761-START1000E). It includes the 10-point MicroLogix, programming cable, CD with the RSLogix500 (free version), and manuals on CD. I think it lists for around $140 USD.

Is this just for learning purposes or is it going into a real application?

I've used a $35 relay board with TwinCAT trial software to make a great training PLC, but its not suitable for a real machine. Probably would be suitable for home automation.

> Is this just for learning purposes or is it going into a real
> application?

> I've used a $35 relay board with TwinCAT trial software to make a
> great training PLC, but its not suitable for a real machine. Probably
> would be suitable for home automation.

we jhave a comms unit http://www.dexdyne.com/netrix - it contains a Linux computer, BUT

It talks Modbus ( RTU and TCP if I put a couple of days into it )
It doesn't do non-volatile
It doesn't do control loops
It has a few IO, and we sometimes need more

So I'm looking for brick(s) I can stick near it, which could pulse count, run any tight 24/7 control logic, expand my IO... that sort of stuff.
I don't really need it to have any display - the Linux box can do that on a web page.

Unitronics U.S. Pricing

Unitronics had a price reduction here, stateside, on the V120 line due to a competitor's pricing structure-at least that is what my distributor told me. So, you should be able to get good pricing from ANY U.S. rep. I paid $272 for the V120-22-R2C.

FYI-the new V130 line looks better than the V120 with more features and my distributor sent me pricing between $301 and $449 those.
[font=&quot]
[/font]