Red Lion DSPLE, ControlLogix

Greco_Cameron

Hello everyone I'm curious if I can create a register in the Red Lion DSPLE. What I'm trying to do is send some data via my ControlLogix to another controller via Modbus TCP and I have a Red Lion DSPLE so can I send an array to some registers in the red lion and then read those registers from the other controller. If the DSPLE is even capable of such thing. I'm already using it to read some registers on 5 other devices and 3 different protocols. If it is capable how can I go about doing it been playing with it and haven't had any success. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

What you're describing is one of the essential features of the Data Station Plus: "Protocol Conversion" using Data Blocks.

Maybe the easiest way to learn about it is to search for "Red Lion Protocol Conversion" on YouTube; the top handful of videos give hands-on examples.

The first thing is to figure out which devices will be the "masters" and which will be the "slaves".

In my opinion the easiest way to use a DSP is to have it be the "master" in both cases, reading data from the ControlLogix and then writing that data to the other PLC over Modbus/TCP.

But since you already have several protocols and devices set up in your DSPLE, you might have different needs or reasons.

It's not a PLC I'm writing too it's another company needing data from my contrologix PLC. For whatever they're using they just want me to give them registers they can read from the Red Lion DSP.

It should be fairly straightforward to set up your DSPLE with one of the Network drivers configured for "Modbus TCP/IP Slave". The proper term is "Modbus/TCP Server".

That will let your third-party "Modbus/TCP Client" poll data out of the DSPLE.

I don't have time to build a full example, but this is definitely an ordinary function of the DSPLE.

I got it thank you. Easier than I thought. That's what I originally tried before I came here but wasn't seeing anything on 2 of my modbus programs but was seeing other device registers with them. Downloaded a 3rd one and it grabbed everything no idea why but it's working... 'shrugs'