Red Lion G3 to multiple Idec PLC's

Stig

I am using one Red Lion G310C2 HMI to control 2 Idec FC5A PLC's. What I am wondering is how the HMI decides which is PLC1 and which is PLC2. Both PLC's are running basically the same ladder program for 4 ovens (2 ovens per PLC). However one is monitoring 3 freezers, and the other is monitoring 5 freezers, so the program only differs with the number of inputs monitoring the freezers. How should the PLC's be connected to ensure the proper commands from the HMI reach the correct PLC? I have already designated which PLC the commands go to on the HMI controls.

What I am thinking: HMI-RS485<-->PLC1<-->Idec FC4A-ENET<-->ethernet switch<-->PLC2

Or do I: HMI-RS485<-->PLC1<-->PLC2<-->Idec FC4A-ENET<-->ethernet switch.

Or even: HMI-RS232<-->PLC1, and HMI-RS485<-->PLC2

Eventually all of our PLC's and HMI's will be connected to a large network able to be monitored from set locations and with pass through programming.o_O

I havn't used Idec
If you are going to network eventually then try to stick to that now.
HMI(1)-E/net - Switch
HMI(2)-E/net -
PLC(1)-E/net -
PLC(2)-E/net -
PC or Notebook - E/Net
With your eventual Plan - spend the extra now.

The HMI knows which PLC to talk to based on the tag you configure in the HMI and the IP address that it is referenced to.

Thanks
Jeremy

The HMI knows which PLC to talk to based on the tag you configure in the HMI and the IP address that it is referenced to.

Thanks
Jeremy

Our Guys in Melbourne are very helpfull
BUT i am keeping your contact

And Jeremy has been known to answer the phone from time to time...lol

Funny you say that because I try to avoid answering the phone :) j/k

I recommend email because while I am helping another customer on the phone I can answer your email.

Is that J/K referring to me ;)

LOL... usually when I call Red Lion it turns into a ll day or multi day affair. Last time I was working on a Modbus network between customer visists and I had those guys on the phone for several days. We would get one thing straightened out only to have something more bizare show up.

Finnaly have my PC installed in my lab machine so the phone calls are about to begin again ;)

FYI...Thanks to Jermery my G3 now whistles "dixie" whenever we go into run mode...lol

hey Clay - eventually you will get anoyed with that and write some different code - which tune next....

hey Clay - eventually you will get anoyed with that and write some different code - which tune next....

Actually the Red Lion plays a old form of ring tones called RTTL. I did some googling on the internet and have a rather large song list now.

But "Dixie" is still my favortie for no other reason than our lab tech is from New Jersey.

Whenever the Saints win a game I make it play "When the Saints go Maching In"

If you want to play some music here is a good site to get some songs:

http://www.free-nokia-ring-tones-4u.com/free-nokia-ring-tones-A.html

It reminds me of my old Nokia phone I carried for years. I dropped that phone so many times and never could kill it.

Our football is 'Ausie Rules' And I barrack for the Saints here.
All cool same theme