Red Lion G3 to PLC5 interface

neath ccs

I am trying to connect an Allen Bradley PLC5/20 to a G306A HMI via ch0 using RS232 DF1. I have followed the connection diagram on Red Lions website and made up a comms lead. I have set them both on 19.2K and other comms setting the same, but can't get the HMI to read a register or status file.
Does anyone have any experience with PLC5 to G3's, any help appreciate ?
Cheers.

I am trying to connect an Allen Bradley PLC5/20 to a G306A HMI via ch0 using RS232 DF1. I have followed the connection diagram on Red Lions website and made up a comms lead. I have set them both on 19.2K and other comms setting the same, but can't get the HMI to read a register or status file.
Does anyone have any experience with PLC5 to G3's, any help appreciate ?
Cheers.

Have you tried switching the TX and RX wires?

Can you post the plc and g3 files ?

Are you sure the comms cable is correct ?

bloke is observing the correct course of action. Post the files and we can hep' you better. The G3 is a VERY powerful device and I have praised it since its' inception. Oh, and by the way we do have some RED LION elves among us here on this BBS.
Have you selected the correct driver?? All programming questions could be answered with your post of the G3 program.

bitmore

The guys above are correct, the PLC and G3 files would be most helpful. Also, as far as the cable (http://www.redlion.net/Support/Cable/CBLAB002.pdf) is concerned, the lower left of the drawing shows the port of the G3, so to find the pin numbers, act like you are plugging your RJ12 into the drawing. Also, on the lower right of the table, 5,6,8 means that those 3 pins need to be jumped together on teh DB25 side.

Regards,
Dan

Uploaded Files

Here is my basic config.
Sorry for the delay, other projects on the go.
Thanks for the help so far, CBLAB002 is the document I used to make the lead and DIP switches on the 5/20 are as you say, RS232C.

Won't be able to test this again anyway for a couple of weeks so no rush.
Thanks.

Unfortunately, I am unable to open the PLC program, RSLogix5 keeps crashing whenever I try to open it. So I woudl double check that our port settings match that of Channel 0. Also, make sure that the Communications Mode is set to Point-To-Point. In Crimson 2, click the 232 comms port and set the srouce address to 0, then click on PLC1 and set the drop to the PLC's address, or 1.

Also, make sure that you have declared Data File F100 in the PLC.

Regards,
Dan

Dan:

I was able to open his program--he has Channel 0 set as Point to Point. the Comms params are 19.2k, Even, 8, 1. BCC error detect, no handshaking.

He also has F100 defined with a length of 50 (F100:0 thru F100:49).

CowDung, thanks for that.

It looks like it could be the addresses, you definitely don't want them to be the same, or a cabling issue.

Regards,
Dan

set the souRce address to 0, then click on PLC1 and set the drop to the PLC's address, or 1.

Regards,
Dan

Dan

I think you hit the nail on the head here

The sample G3 file has a Source address and PLC Address as 6

I have never done any PLC5 work but it looks like you cant set an address in the comms here so i would guess its an address issue.