Red Lion new version of Crimson with new functions

BryanG

We can't use it because we can't get HMIs :) but Red Lion have released a new version of Crimson 3.1. The change log says that they have added new functions, but haven't said what the new functions are. I had a bit of quiet time and went through and found them, if I have missed any, let me know:

ClearWebUser()
DebugDumpLocals()
DebugPrint()
DebugStackTrace()
GetInterfaceSignal()
GetLicenseState()
GetModemProperty()
GetSerialNumber()
GetWebUser()
SendFileToAck()
SendMailTo()
SendMailToAck()
SetModemProperty()
TextToL64()

Some aren't implemented and some of the descriptions are as cryptic as ever! But where would the fun be if they made it simple for us :)

Thanks for that.

The lack of thorough documentation from Red Lion reminds me of a story.

I noticed my boss at the old tire plant troubleshooting some relay logic driven by an old sequential gray code encoder board with relay outputs. There was an intermittent problem with the assembly machine. About 30 minutes I walked by and he was still there.

I saw that he had no prints, but he knew that machine wiring really well. I asked if he'd like me to get him a set of drawings and he said "What? And take all the fun out of troubleshooting?"

I'm still waiting for them to revive the emulator. If they, do, I won't be surprised if there is less than a half a sentence mention of it in the "release notes".

I'm still waiting for them to revive the emulator.
I did ask the sales people if this was going to made available. It would be especially useful to be able to test a program, when getting a piece of kit to test on, is a year long wait of a problem. But, 'computer says no' was the answer. It is a shame, it would show a real understanding of customers issues during a global supply chain crisis.

In some previous version of Crimson 3.1 the Emulator button was active, though if you clicked it you just got a popup saying that the Emulator wasn't found. If I had been smart I would have tried the following at that stage, rather than now, when the button is there but greyed out.
Anyway, I copied everything I could find that was 'Emulator' related from the C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Lion Controls\Crimson 3.0 folder to the Crimson 3.1 folder. Of course if it was that easy Red Lion would have made it available, but I wondered if some of it might work. But as the emulator button is greyed out I got nowhere.

I was pretty happy some time back when the Emulator button was re-activated in 3.1. But, over a year later, Build 3126.001 still has the emulator button and controls active, but the "ERROR - Unable to initialize the Emulator" message appears when you try to send an application to it.

If I have an application where I really think the Emulator will benefit me, I will build in up in Crimson 3.0 until I am ready to run it on real hardware and then import it into 3.1

I was on Build 3126.001 until yesterday, but the Emulator button was greyed out and in Link / Options, send to emulator is greyed out.

I have:
uninstalled and reinstalled in both orders 3.0 then 3.1, 3.1 then 3.0.
used 3.1 to open and upgrade a 3.0 file.
deleted file from C:\ProgramData\Red Lion Controls\Crimson.
tried running in a Windows 10 64 bit VM, but the Emulate button didn't even show.
tried reinstalling WinPcap.

But so far no luck. I am now creating a brand new VM to see if that works. It will probably fail even once I have managed to get the emulator button to work in 3.1, but you have to try :)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't use 3.0 to create the system, these are 3.1 files that already exist, so I am way passed that point.