Red Lion ProducTVity Station

shoelesscraig

Question...the is my first time dealing with this Red Lion unit.

We have this running on the floor. Runs great, no problem. I brought it to the office to do some testing and teach myself how to use it (a guy that used to work here put it in years ago). I connected a USB cable (PC recognized it with no problem) and using the Crimson 3.0 software, it easily let me "extract" the current program and save it. It did this thru USB with no problem.

I tired creating a new file and sending it to (downloading) back to the Red Lion with USB and it tries, but it ERRORS out and says that it "failed to send the USB request". My computer makes the sound that it makes when you unplug a USB cable. It's like it tries to cycle the power on the RL Unit which makes it lose the USB connection. So, the new program never gets sent and the original remains.

So, thinking that I set up my new program incorrectly, I opened my copy of the original program and tried to download that into the unit (even though it's technically already in it)....I get the same error.

Basically, I can upload all day, no problem. Can't download thru USB at all. I have my "link" setup to be USB, everything else looks good to me. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Not yet. That is my next step. Right this minute I am downloading the new software update for Crimson 3.0. The copy that I had isn't very old (downloaded a month or two ago) but I'm doing this first just to see if there is a patch or something that fixes this issue.

In the meantime, one thing I noticed is that when I go to Device Manager and look under the USB section, my PC recognizes the unit as a "G3 HMI" and not as a ProducTVity Station". I believe a G3 HMI is an operator HMI panel, correct?

I looked on Red Lions website, but do not see a driver for the unit I have.

Have several Productivity units and I have seen this on occasion with both the Productivity and DSPs. When it happens I am usually trying to connect by usb thru a VM and i'm not sure if the problem has been with the way the usb is passed form the hardware to the VM.

To fix the problem I typically have to download to the unit via serial. The USB will start to work again after it has updated the firmware and cycled power a couple of times in the process.

If the version of Crimson is the same and it doesn't update the firmware I will run an older rev so it updates and then run the latest rev to get back to the latest firmware rev.

Not sure what the actuall problem is or what causes the units to get stuck in that condition. I have not been able to trace down any particulare cause. I have never reported to Redlion since the serial options has always seemed to take care of my problem.

I have had this happen before. I think it was on a DSPSX.

I created a DB with one tag in and nothing else, uploaded that, then I was able to update the correct DB after.

Good luck!