Redlion -> CoMap RS232 Modbus?

Marc_U

Lifetime Supporting Member
I hope someone can answer this question quickly, as I have a colleague in Kenya onsite, trying to get the following to work, with no success.

Basically, the customer wants to link a Redlion G306 HMI(with Crimson 3 software) to a CoMap Intelli-protec (Mains protection unit) using Modbus RS232 ports.

I believe that this should be possible, since we have previously linked the Redlion HMIs to various equipment using Modbus, using the RS485 ports.

We are not sure whether is a cabling issue, or configuration one.
The CoMap is displaying an 'R' in its top RH corner which indicates communication.
The cable we have made up is:

Redlion | CoMap
Pin 2 | Pin 3
Pin 3 | Pin 5
Pin 5 | Pin 2

Has anyone done this link before, or advise where we are going wrong?

Just to check

Do you mean a ComAp?

try here http://www.comap.cz/products/detail/inteliprotec/

in any event a null modem cable sould do it, so a basic one would be (i think)

Redlion | CoMap
Pin 2 (Rx) | Pin 3 (Tx)
Pin 3 (COMM) | Pin 5 (SG)
Pin 5 (Tx) | Pin 2 (Rx)

so that matches you

if not try

Redlion | CoMap
Pin 1 (CTS) | Pin 7 (RTS)
Pin 2 (Rx) | Pin 3 (Tx)
Pin 3 (COMM) | Pin 5 (SG)
Pin 5 (Tx) | Pin 2 (Rx)
Pin 6 (RTS) | Pin 8 (CTS)

Chris

Thanks for the speedy response, Chris (Powerplan).

Yes, that is ComAp, that I was referring to, and I have already visted their website.

I tried both wiring connections, that you suggested, but still nothing.o_O

Is there a way to check that Redlion HMi can see the ComAp unit? Or at least check that it is talking properly?

Regards,

Marc

Marc
"Is there a way to check that Redlion HMi can see the ComAp unit? Or at least check that it is talking properly?"

I'd use a scanner like "CAS Modbus Scanner" to read the ComAp and then do the same to write to the HMI just to check that the drivers are OK and selected to the correct ports.

I would then write a simple one register read from the HMI and go from there. not very helpful I know :)

I've done Proface to ComAp without a problem so it can't be too serious.

Chris

Hi, though maybe out of date, attached is the recommended connection of the crossed null-modem cable. It may also be necessary to enable the modbus communication in the InteliProtec unit (Basic settings / RS232 mode). If none of those helps, you can still contact ComAp technical support: support(at)comap.cz , sure they will assist you further.

Find more about InteliProtec successor - InteliPro: http://www.comap.cz/products/detail/intelipro/ . Especially, the comms solution for this unit was very much improved!

Null_modem.JPG

Checking for a Comm Error on a G3.

The first thing I would do is make a blank page and setup a 2 data tags.

First Data Tag has CommError in the Data Source. This is a good tool to check Coms, but you have to format it and understand the format. Basically it assigns a bit for each Comm configuration, so as an example if you had RS-232 Program setup and RS-232 Comms Port setup then you would have a 2 bit data tag. If both are working then you would see 00. If RS-232 Program was faulted the word would be 01. You need to format this data tag so you can view all of this.

Second data tag I would setup is a data word from the device you are trying to read. Make sure you understand how these words are supposed to be setup. Laso I have found that when the device manual says read only then you need to set the tag as read only. You also need torealize that the Red Lion will try to read this word everytime the screen is updated so its going to run pretty fast and this can cause comm errors. If the workd is wrtie on then you need to set up the tag that way. Also wrie tags are only transmitted when the data changes so you need to think of them as one shots.

There is alot more that can be a PITA but that should get you heading in the right direction.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, as Tomas guessed, my collegue has long since returned to the UK, with the issue un-resolved, and therefore abandoned.

We have now started using the Intelli-Pro units (as it is compliant to G59/2 requirements), and so we may try again in the future.