Redundant PLC Ethernet

Oceansoul

So, we have a dual redundant PLC5/40 system using BCM and BEM Modules. 1CH of RIO and 2 of DH+. The DH+ are to be removed and migrated to Ethernet.

The PLC's are not to upgraded as of yet, but management want to replace with PLC5 Ethernet processors. Im not sure (cant see in manuals etc) if Ethernet processors work with BCM.

Ive experience of Control Logix redundancy, and understand that the RM adds +1 to the IP address, but i guess the BCM Module cant talk across the PLC 5 backplane to do the same???

I have not worked with PLC5 redundancy for a while, but I do recall that the BCM and BEM modules are built for RIO and DH+ switching.

PLC-5E controllers can be used, but the Ethernet channel will not be managed or affected by the redundancy modules. HMI and controller to controller message retargeting would have to be done manually.

Only the old Controlnet PLC5s had a truer form of redundancy than those BCM modules which didn't really give you true redundacy.