Reed Switch Wiring

POWER_PACKED

Hi people - I think this is a stupied one, But I really need to know this. I ordered a cylinder and couple reed low gauss switches that comes with it. The switches that I ordered didn't come and replacement switches came instead REED switches P/N RSQ02 That are normally open with M8 male plug. The switch has only two pins! Pin 1 and Pin 3 it says on the switch wiring diagram that
Pin 1 is + and Pin 3 is -, Switching voltage is 5-125 Vac/dc. My question is, how the hell do you wire this thing!!!!! lol, Can I get signal conditioning from it? I mean Can I wire the switch to a PLC input Card?? I don't want to call the supplier and sound stupied :) I would rather get taught by the knowledgeable people here. Thanks a bunch.

Regards,
Y@S!

The typical mag-reed switch that comes on an air cylinder can be wired direclty to a PLC discrete inputs. Connect pin 1 to power, pin 2 to the PLC input. Ths signal is on or off, so no signal conditioning in necessary. Follow all applicable codes when making the connection.

Alaric's right, just wire it like a simple on-off switch... :nodi:

One thing I'll add regarding the polarity. Polarity should only matter if the sensor has an indicator on it. If your other 3-wire sensors are PNP, conect as Alaric suggested. If your other sensors are NPN, swap the leads. If this makes no sense, don't worry. Connect it either way, it won't break anything. If it has a light and it doesn't turn on when the magnet is sensed, then swap the leads.

🍻

-Eric

You might also consider the sinking/sourcing card that this might go to (if it is DC). Instead of installing "power" to a pin, it might be necessary to install the "dc common" to a pin and the other wire to the input.

------ +
|
switch
|
-------- plc input

OR

----- -
|
switch
|
------ plc input