Remote access of control systems

Another option to consider that's free and yet HIGHLY secure is to use the UltraVNC repeater. However, this will only work is you have a PC on both ends of the Internet connection.

Many of us have used VNC, but the UltraVNC repeater is a different beast. The repeater is like what was described above: the remote end makes a connection to YOUR OWN server system located at your business. Then your local computer makes a second connection to your server then your local computer and remote computer are joined in a VNC sesssion (similar to remote desktop).

So the UltraVNC repeater only needs to make outgoing connections on the remote end and therefore usually requires no router/firewall setup on the remote end. Since it connects to one and only one server on the Internet (at your company), its highly secure from any intrusion. You usually set it up to only allow access from computers located inside your company (the most secure), or you can do things like allow access through the use of a company VPN by any computer validated by your company VPN.

This does require that your intermediate server (at your company) have a static IP address and you will need to open one port from the Internet into your repeater server. So it requires a little bit of IT help at your company, yet requires ZERO IT help at the remote end since it only makes outgoing connections from there.

And its all for free.

Beside for remote programing with ***. Can we have HMI on our site to online monitoring with PLC on remote site? Or can we set PLC from site-A communicate to other PLC from site-B ?

Best way to do this is with a SSl or IPSEC VPN using a couple tofino firewalls or a couple of small cisco ASA firewalls.

I'm looking for advice on ways to remotely access control systems at customer's facilities throughout the world. We use Modicon M340 PLCs and Telemecanique XBTG family of HMIs. Currently we use a modem/router in the control boxes that is connected to the PLC and HMIs through unmanaged switches. Each device has a unique IP address assigned by our company, each customer has a unique range of IP addresses assigned to them. Customers supply a dedicated phone line to the router, and we "call" the router in order to connect to the equipment. Phone lines are slow and unreliable, especially for troubleshooting and making changes.

The only other option I know of is supplying a computer for the customer with the programming softwares for all equipment, and setting up the computer on both the customer's network for internet access and the equipment network. But then we would have to manage software upgrade and any other PC issues that could come up.

Any other options/suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I personally like to quote out systems including a microsoft surface pro. We install TeamViewer and the trial versions of the RSLogix software. It is up to them if they would like to upgrade. We usually have them store it in their so called "shop" and if they need me to go online with them system we have them bring it out to the PLC, and use a usb c to ethernet adapter.

If you're more interested in making it so they cant see what you're doing here is a copy of JesperMP's guide on teamviewers VPN.

Last edited: