Remote particle sensor

muusic_man

Does anyone know of a remote particle sensor with an ethernet output that also has a corresponding module to install for bringing the data into a 1756-L71 ControlLogix PLC?

What sort of particles ?

Are you doing air quality monitoring, radiation monitoring, water turbidity.... there's lots of particulates to sense in the world.

Are there instruments you use today, with other types of interfaces ?

Sorry Ken. It is air particle monitoring and I would prefer to bring into into the PLC via ethernet than using 4-20mA signals but everyone wants to use Modbus.

Do you already have the existing sensor/transmitter and does it already have Modbus server/slave functionality? You can get gateways that will sit between the transmitter and the AB PLC to talk modbus to the sensor and EIP to AB. I have use RTA ( www.rtautomation.com ) gateways in the past and they work quite well.

Modbus RTU to EtherNet/IP gateways are a pretty well-developed market. There are some folks on this forum who actually work for one of those manufacturers, and/or know the devices very well.

Can you point to a datasheet for the particle sensor and its Modbus interface ?

So Modbus it is.

Thanks everyone. You've kind of indirectly answered my question. I wanted to bring it in ethernet, not Modbus, so that I didn't need additional equipment. As I can see from the responses I am going to using Modbus. I thank you all for your time.