Replace Prosoft Modbus Serial RS-485

muterdewe

Hi All,

I have 1 rack PLC with prosoft modbus serial RS-485 (MVI56-MCM) installed on one of the slot on the rack. it configures as master with 2 slaves.

Currently this module is faulty and i have to replace it with new one. Do we need to upload the existing configuration file with prosoft builder software then load it to the new one or we can just plug it and play? please advise.

i am more familiar with Modbus Ethernet (MVI56-MNET) which required upload the existing config file then load it to the new one.

Thank You,

Muterdewe

In my experience, the classic MVI56-MCM module receives all of its configuration via the ControlLogix relay ladder program. Prosoft Configuration Builder is not used with the MVI56-MCM.

The "enhanced" MVI56E-MCM might use Prosoft Configuration Builder, but I'm confident the old ones did not.

Hi Ken,
thank you for your prompt response. are you saying that the MVI56-MCM can be plugged and play online without futher configuration?

regards,
Muterdewe

Check the configuration jumpers carefully on the module you remove. The physical configuration of the ports (RS-232, RS-422, RS-485) is done via those configuration jumpers.

But otherwise if the sample code was followed correctly, the PLC program should re-load the configuration blocks automatically.

Ken is correct. The ONLY thing you need to do is change the jumpers to match what your current module is set for, and plug it in. All configuration will come from ladder. This is true for both MVI56-MCM and MVI56E-MCM.