Replacing a 1756-CNB/D with a 1756-CN2

shot_doc

Are there any concerns I have to worry about when replacing a 1756-CNB/D with a 1756-CN2 card? I have a customer who is currently getting close to maxing out the number of connections on their network, so I would like to replace the 1756-CNB/D that they have with a 1756-CN2 card because it can handle more connections. Should I just be able to swap the two modules and re-schedule the controlnet for the new card and be ready to go?

The current network has about 30 nodes and over 50 connections, the nodes are 1794-ACN15 modules and 4 SMC motors. The processor is a 1756-L61 revision 16.21.

I did exactly that on two lines, for exactly the same reason. While I was at it, I also swapped EN2T's for ENBT's (Lots of Ethernet comms too, but not I/O).

No problems. Total downtime was less then 10 minutes per line.

You asked "Should I just be able to swap the two modules and re-schedule the controlnet for the new card and be ready to go?"

You will, additionally, have to change the modules in the I/O configuration, or you will likely get Module Keying errors (Wrong Module).

And you can't just "change" a module like that, you have to delete it, and put the new module in its place.

But of course you can't delete the CNB/D without deleting everything under it, all your ControlNet I/O !

A simple way to do this (has to be done offline) is to put a new CN2 into the configuration into an empty slot, put the remote CNB(s) into the configuration (You may have to make a temporary name for the remote CNB(s), or you will get a conflict), then cut/paste (or drag/drop) the existing I/O to the new place in the tree.

When you've got the new CN2 fully populated, you can delete the old one, move the CN2 to the now vacant slot, and rename your remote CNB(s) as they were.

Sounds complicated but its not really.

Then you can download and re-schedule the network.