Replacing a legacy Panelview 300 Micro

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an opportunity to get some more experience replacing an old Panelview 300 Micro. I'd like to hear any advice you have about it.

I suspect I'll need to find a good source for refurbished PVs, I know they are out there. Any recommendations?

I'm guessing PanelBuilder 32 is the software? Can someone confirm this? I'm assuming I'd be able to upload the program into PB32 and download to the PV. Any gotchas?

PV300Micro.png ModelNumber.png

I haven't dealt with a Micro, but per the installation manual PanelBuilder32 is indeed the software you'll want.

One thing to look out for is the communication settings -- there's only one port so you'll need to connect using whatever settings it uses for runtime communication unless you can get to configuration mode, which I suspect you can't with it errored.

In case you hadn't gotten that far, the error 31 it has indicates a stuck key (checked during power-up self-tests from what I understand). At least that's what it means on standard Panelviews, as mentioned I haven't dealt with Micros. Try working each of the keys a few times and then cycling power.

Yes, PanelBuilder32 is the software. The 300's didn't change much, as there were no color features or new network protocols to support.

2711-M3A18L1

The "18" means that the RS-232 port runs DF1 Full Duplex protocol. The "19" models run DH485 protocol on the RS-232 port.

Fun fact: the 300 Micro was the only PanelView Standard you could load a new runtime firmware into to change the serial port protocol.

One benefit of the DF1 models is that you don't need special hardware to upload/download. The DH485 units you need a 1747-UIC or equivalent (or a time machine to 1995).

I haven't dealt with a Micro, but per the installation manual PanelBuilder32 is indeed the software you'll want.

One thing to look out for is the communication settings -- there's only one port so you'll need to connect using whatever settings it uses for runtime communication unless you can get to configuration mode, which I suspect you can't with it errored.

In case you hadn't gotten that far, the error 31 it has indicates a stuck key (checked during power-up self-tests from what I understand). At least that's what it means on standard Panelviews, as mentioned I haven't dealt with Micros. Try working each of the keys a few times and then cycling power.

They got it running. The stuck key is the reason they want to replace it. I asked if it was urgent, which is the difference between finding a refurbished unit or replacing it with something newer. They'd like it ASAP. I saw the post about DF1 communications for that model. I suspect that is what it will be.

Yes, PanelBuilder32 is the software. The 300's didn't change much, as there were no color features or new network protocols to support.

2711-M3A18L1

The "18" means that the RS-232 port runs DF1 Full Duplex protocol. The "19" models run DH485 protocol on the RS-232 port.

Fun fact: the 300 Micro was the only PanelView Standard you could load a new runtime firmware into to change the serial port protocol.

One benefit of the DF1 models is that you don't need special hardware to upload/download. The DH485 units you need a 1747-UIC or equivalent (or a time machine to 1995).

Yeah, I was just looking at an old post you did seconding a recommendation for using a Red Lion C1000 for a replacement. I also caught the DF1 reference a couple minutes ago.

I'm hoping someone chimes in with a recommendation for a refurbisher source. I've had a couple of times where customers convey stories about buying a refurbished PV from some place down south that specializes in that. If nothing comes up I'll just hand it off to the office and have them look.

Another fun fact... every time I use my Fluke 125b Scopemeter your name comes to mind. It hasn't happened very often, but the other day I needed to check out the ripple on the DC bus on a VFD. At some point I need to spend some time in my shop checking out the communication bus diagnostic features. ...So much to learn!

There is a guy in OKC who refurbishes panelviews, and I have used him a few times with good results. We have used him for quick turnaround on some larger PanelView standards. PM me if you want his contact info.

For the 300 Micro, the old Red Lion G304K was almost a drop in replacement. I think the CR series 4" will have about the same panel cutout.

There is a guy in OKC who refurbishes panelviews, and I have used him a few times with good results. We have used him for quick turnaround on some larger PanelView standards. PM me if you want his contact info.

For the 300 Micro, the old Red Lion G304K was almost a drop in replacement. I think the CR series 4" will have about the same panel cutout.

Yeah, Paul, if you could PM that contact to me I'd appreciate it. I just talked with my office. He said there are lots of these listed... new, used, refurbished. He's going to start filtering through them. I mentioned to him that we should start building our expertise in this area. It seems like we stumble across one of these requests every couple of months. I'll give him the contact information and make sure he holds onto it for future reference.

Thanks!

What is the rule for compatibility of the program file?

For instance...
Broken PV: Rev E, Series A, FRN 4.46
Possible Replacement: Rev G, Series A, FRN 4.46

The Rev is different, but the FRN is the same. Can I download the file with success?

What is the rule for compatibility of the program file?

For instance...
Broken PV: Rev E, Series A, FRN 4.46
Possible Replacement: Rev G, Series A, FRN 4.46

The Rev is different, but the FRN is the same. Can I download the file with success?
>90% sure that you can. The FRN can be an issue if the newer firmware has features that are being used by the pva file. Normally you can edit the pba file to pick the correct firmware and then validate the application to ensure there are no errors. I don't know of any significant issues with hardware series on that particular model.

To my knowledge as long as the firmware matches you shouldn't even have to open the file. I've once had an issue with a replacement Panelview that was a significantly older firmware and didn't support a feature being used, but when selecting a PV300 Micro terminal it only gives a single option for firmware level (4.10-4.xx) so it looks to be a non-issue in this particular case.

Thanks, Paul and plvlce. I told the office to match the catalog number and the firmware exactly, and the rest either the same or higher. Might as well keep things simple.

I installed the new PV300 Micro today. I was a little surprised when the DF1 didn't auto-configure. So, for the benefit of people searching this issue in the future, here's what I had to do:

I pushed the left and right arrows at the same time and got the config. screen. Then, wrote down all the communication settings and manually configured...

9600 Baud
CRC
Node 2

I use the TW Controls USB to PM02 converter on my Windows XP VM. Everything connected in Linx, and I uploaded the file to PanelBuilder 32 on my laptop. Then, configured the same comm settings into the new PV and downloaded the file into it. Everything worked great.

Panelview300Micro.png