[RESOLVED] RSLogix Micro Links with MicroLogix1400 Series B as a Series A

Rhacman

Hi, this is my first time using a PLC. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!!

I recently acquired a second-hand MicroLogix 1400 Series B (1766-L32BXB). I am using the software RSLogix Micro Starter 10.00.00. (The paid version, not Starter Lite) I am able to go online with the PLC however it shows as the processor type: "Bul. 1766 MicroLogix 1400 Series A". I can't find a way to get it to link as a Series B. If I start a new project I am able to select "Bul. 1766 MicroLogix 1400 Series B" as the processor type, so the software does seem to understand Series B. Unfortunately though, I am unable go online using such a project and my Series B (it will ask to create a new file or browse for an existing Series A file).

I'm using the Ethernet interface to communicate with the PLC. The web-interface confirms "OS Revision Series B FRN 11.0". The sticker on the side shows "1766-L32BXB Ser B FW 13". The RSWho interface shows its Online Name as "1766-L32BXB B/11.00". Everything seems to confirm this is a Series B device, except when I actually go online with it.

My end goal is to enable Modbus TCP which is only available on the Series B. I've watched video tutorials that show where the checkbox is to enable Modbus TCP and that checkbox is entirely missing from the channel configuration page for my Ethernet channel.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
I have seen this myself. The way I got around it was to perform a download. I am not sure, but I suspect that if you want to tell a series B that it needs to pretend to be a series A, it will oblige.

I have seen this myself. The way I got around it was to perform a download. I am not sure, but I suspect that if you want to tell a series B that it needs to pretend to be a series A, it will oblige.

Oh, excellent! That's a great bit of knowledge that a series B can be programmed as an A or a B.

Thanks!!!