Revision notes for MS Word (similar to PLC programming software) ?

I am using Word 2003, so it should be applicable to you.

Here are the directions directly from Microsoft Office Word Help:

Hide text

Security Because content that is formatted as hidden text can easily be made visible, do not use hidden text formatting to keep sensitive information private.

1. Select the text you want to hide.
  2. On the Format menu, click Font, and then click the Font tab.
  3. Select the Hidden check box.
Note To view hidden text on the screen, click Show/Hide
ZA006052169.gif
ZA006044735.gif
on the Standard toolbar.

As for taking up space, yes - while editing, but not when "Hidden", so your document should look right when printing.

As for the index, I have no idea. I don't do indexes (yet).

Steve

Did a test, and some things are good.
The hidden text does not appear unless you show the "
ZA006052169.gif
" codes.
It does not appear in the index.
But it looks like an eye-sore when you turn the "
ZA006052169.gif
" codes on. And it takes some steps to do it, and you have to remember to do it.

So it is a toss if comments or hidden teksts are best at the moment.

Appreciate the effort :)

How about just formatting your comments differently as I suggested in my earlier post? The print selection for final document only hides all comments.

This approach assumes that you only give your customer the pdf version.

One way to reduce the "eye-sore" effect is to set your options to view only the hidden text rather than using the "
ZA006052169.gif
" to display everything. Here is how:

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then under Formatting marks check the Hidden Text box.

As you toggle this check-box, the hidden text will appear and disappear.

Steve

Last edited:
How about just formatting your comments differently as I suggested in my earlier post? The print selection for final document only hides all comments.
I noticed that and as I said I might go that way.

Steve Etter said:
One way to reduce the "eye-sore" effect is to set your options to view only the hidden text rather than using the "
ZA006052169.gif
" to display everything. Here is how:
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then under Formatting marks check the Hidden Text box.
As you toggle this check-box, the hidden text will appear and disappear.
We are getting there.
How to easily know that the text is hidden ? A color code would be most obvious. But I could also just write "Start of revision notes" and "end of revision notes".

I would opt to color the text and use a different font, if it was me.

Like you, I don't think it's going to be very automatic no matter how you do it.