RIO troubles

Williyb

I added a sixth remote chassis to my current RIO link. I finally got it to show run and my e-stop works. Only problem is my BTR's and BTW's show ER bit once in awile and I also have 3 outputs turning on and off that I cant see in my output map. It also shuts down the other adapters comm and they wont function correctly. I havent been trained on this type of set up and I've only learned from here or a AB book, so I believe I have my MO or MI files set up wrong. BUt I'm not sure what they need to be so the system will acknowledge there is one more adapter in the link. I know I need to give more info, I just dont know what to give unless you ask me.

I take from your post that the new RIO rack is working, that is: The digital i/o responds properly most of the time. Only, some i/o behave strangely at times.
This shouldnt have anything to do with the BTW/BTR or the M0/M1 files. The problems with these could stem from the same source that makes the digital i/o misbehave.

The problems could be in the rack. Try to swap modules, and if possible try to swap racks.

The problems could be in the network. Is the cabling laid proberly ? Termination correct ? Grounding etc...

By the way, the "I finally got it to show run and my e-stop works" makes me wonder: Do you have your emergency stops in the PLC/RIO system. Please tell me that you have it hardwired with a real safety relay.

Yes the e-stop is hard wired to a MCR but it is only for this paticular station, it doesnt interupt the communication and is also run to a input. So a alarm will sound and stop all other operations at the other station. If they are drawing liquid. This sytem is used for counting off a certain amount liquid from a specific silo.

As of now the I/O doesnt respond, correct me if I'm wrong but I can have data transfer thru a BTW/BTR and a discrete input. If each adapter is always ready to talk with (handshaking) this unit doesnt, at least I dont think it is. Can you give a example or test I can do to see if this BTR BTW is working. Also I need to add that when I try and force what I "think" is a output on this rack, on, I cant see it. If I go to my output map and look for the specific output thats on and another that is flashing on and off about every 3 sec, I should be seeing that while online.
As you can tell I'm not familiar with the RIO link and I'm not sure if I have all my blocks set up correctly because I can force any of the outputs on this card on.

"As of now the I/O doesnt respond" Step number one is to get "hole thru" to your digital i/o in the new rack. BTW/BTR comes later.

Did you setup the SLC to scan the new rack ?
In IO Configuration highligt the RIO scanner and click Adv. Config .
Be sure that the number of scanned words include the new rack (or just put it to the max 32/32).
Also click the Edit G data button.
You have to match this setup with the actual configuration.
Example:
[attachment]
It can be confusing that the "racks" mentioned in this dialog arent physical racks, but "logical" racks .

On the new RIO scanner there are a number of dipswitches to setup the logical racknumber etc. Be sure that these matches the above dialog in the IO configuration.

sletmig.jpg

Last edited:
simple stuff

Don't forget to make sure the BLUE-SHIELD-CLEAR sequence at each RIO adapter is correct and that (only) the last adapter has a terminating resistor of the correct value for your baud rate. Also, no star configuration, daisy chain only.

The orginal way, before I added a rack, logical rack 0-2 were set up as 1/2 rack group 0 and 4, except rack 2 only used group 0. All I did was add to logical rack 2 group 4 and setup accordingly. I basically just copied what the other racks and groups were and did the same for this one. At the time I did this I found out(from this site) I didnt have my g-file setup correctly and the adapter was giving some e- message. But once I set up my g file and set the DIP switches it came up as run and I could push the e-stop(only input I could use) and I could "see" it happen in RSLogic. I feel like I have the hole, maybe I'm just trying to put the info in the wrong hole. I have the m file set to 3300? I'm not at work so I cant remember exactly. I know I just maxed it.

Can I send a example file to you or just paste it on this site, like you did with the g-file?

Thanks for all the help,

DougP, I Triple checked the "blue hose" everything is connected in the daisy chain. Terminating resistor was left the same. If I remember I didnt need to change it unless I was changing the baud rate? I might be wrong on that I dont have the book in front of me right now.

I started this project about 6 months ago, now after all this time I have to get it done, now its a priority! Man I wish I didnt stop on it now! Thanks for all the reply's, still need a little more info so the light will turn on inside my brain! Wish this was done DH+

What exactly is out there in the remote rack? For discrete I/O, you should only need the G-file configuration to get that data exchanged with the 1747-SN data table.

For analog or complex modules, the BTR/BTW instructions are required. Maybe your BTR/BTW are pointed at the wrong Rack/Group/Slot address and are stepping on the data for the discrete module.

If you can post the remote chassis configuration, and the setup of your BTR/BTW instructions, maybe Forum members would recognize something wrong.

Here is what I have on all my 6 remote racks.

1747-ASB
1747-IA4
1747-OWA
1746-HSCE2

and a PV550 with a different blue hose connected. and 1 e-stop examined only.

I draw a certain amount of liquid and the HSCE2 reads the data and then is compared to the setpoint selected. Since I no nothing of the RIO link yet, I basically copied the instructions used on the other 5 remote racks and looked at the pattern of addressing. I then started reading from the manuals how the BTR BTW's work. (Still working on that) So.. I just added the addressing in the "pattern" I seen with the others and have come to this point, ASB says run on the display, input I use to monitor the e-stop is inserted (OR) with the previous remote racks' e-stop. I can "see" the e-stop input but I get a ER on the BTR and BTW evry so often. It seems very regular, just like the outputs switch from one to the other is very regular alomost every 3 seconds. I dont have the program in front of me to give you the settings, but from what I have giving you so far, is the RIO sending data? If I download this program I can only get my other work stations to work correctly sporactically, as though this 6th rack is causing a conflict on the link. I will the info I can tonight and post, I'll try and copy a page of my BTR and BTW instructions I have addressed.
Since I keep talking.. I have searched the past topics on this subject and have found info that I needed to know, and one of those items is, there is a word that the BTR or BTW uses to control what the other does? certain bits of the word enables or tells when its finished? I will get the book out and read some more. Thanks

1. Maybe the BTW/BTR confuses the matter. Try to skip these instructions in the program until you have the digital i/o working.

2. ZIP and attach the complete program.

3. Specify the DIP switch settings for ALL scanners and adapters.

4. Something I remember out of my head: Isnt there a DIP switch setting that tells if the adapter is the LAST ONE (DIPSW 3.4)? Maybe this needs to be changed in adapter #5.

5. Did you try to swap hardware (adapter, rack, io) ?

6. Keep up your morale ;) Once you get this thing knacked, RIO will work trustily for ever on.

edit: 7. Is that PV550 on the RIO network or on the DH+ network (assuming you have a SLC5/04) ?

Last edited:
Here's what I know on the sixth adapet I added.

SW1 11110101
SW2 01011110
SW3 010101000
In rack
ASB slot 0
IA4 1
OW8 2
HSCE2 3

ADV I/O config

Slot#1 1747-sn
Max input 32
Max out 32
Scanned input word 32
scanned output word 32
ISR # 0
MO Length 3300
MI Length 3300
G-File 3

G-File Data
Log Rack 0 group 0 1/2 rack I/O word 0+1
group 2 1/2 rack I/O word 4+5
Log Rack 1 " 0 " " " " 8+9
" 2 " " " " 12+13
Log Rack 2 " 0 " " " " 16+17
" 2 " " " " 20+21

Complementary mode not enabled

I havent tried to remove the BTR and BTW

BTW
Rack 2
Group 6
Slot 0
Control Block N120:55
Data File N123:110
Buffer File MO:1.1100
req word cnt 8
Trans word cnt 0
Control Block length 3

BTR
Rack 2
Group 6
Slot 0
N120:50
N123:100
M1:1.1200
Swapped hardware- works fine

I cant give you the DIP right now I will though

I'll get the file ZIP and down load also Thanks for the help

SW1:
rack 2
group 4

SW2:
230kbps
4 groups

SW3:
Not last chassis .

G-File Data
Log Rack 0 group 0 1/2 rack I/O word 0+1
group 2 1/2 rack I/O word 4+5
Log Rack 1 " 0 " " " " 8+9
" 2 " " " " 12+13
Log Rack 2 " 0 " " " " 16+17
" 2 " " " " 20+21

I think that SW1.7 and SW1.8 are wrong.
Also, I think that SW3 in the new rack #6 should indicate last (logical) chassis and in rack #5 it should be NOT last chassis.

You were right about the DIP SW1 I had the wrong group.

SW3 7+8 I thought the rack that was phyically at the end of the line and has the terminating resistor needed to be the last chassis? I try it tonight.

I did find a couple more problems, one I was confusing the ladder logic need for the HSC and the logic for the BTR BTW's. I found that the counter isnt set up correctly and wasnt setting a bit as acknowledge. This was keeping the program from jumping to a subroutine that allowed all the other racks to send the couter data.I havent set up this HSC either, I am reading all about them, but I havent figured out yet how my data on this one input is moved into a interger file, or how the SLC knows it there. I have just touched on the this subject, but what I will do tonight is remove this XIO from the logic and see if the others work.
Is there any reason I cant force the inputs and outputs on this extra rack to see if the I/O is working properly.

I cant seem to attach this file for you, do you have a e-mail I can send it too?

Hi Willy,

I must insist that you get the digital i/o working first.
Remove all the BTW/BTR for that last rack.
And yes, do use FORCE OUTPUT to check if the RIO is working.
FORCE INPUT wont tell you anything.

About "Last chassis": Its the logical racks, so racks 2 - 4 - 6 should have this seting to LAST. Racks 1 - 3 - 5 should be NOT LAST.
Get the manual for both scanner and adapter and read up on adressing etc.

I am on the way to malaysia for a week, so posting to me wont give you a fast reply.

Good luck.