RIO troubles

I/O

I thought I needed the BTR and BTW's to send the I/O info over the link. Can I just put this one rack in discrete mode and the rest in RIO? Anyone's input would be appreciated.

Hi willy,
I have loosely skimmed the program that you sent in THIS thread. The hardware io configuration seems to be correct. The block transfer programming of the extra rack seems to be correct, that is: It looks like you have repeated the program structure of the other block transfers. If you havent made a typo it should work properly.

About block transfers:
RIO updates the basic io in ONE RIO CYCLE without the need of block transfers. Basic io is a way of setting up the number of words per rack so that it just covers what is necessary to read or write the actual io count. Thats what 2-slot/1-slot/half-slot adressing, and number of "groups" is about.
The problem with basic io is that it is difficult to squeze in the number of words that are required for analog and other "special" io (like HSCE). Thats where block transfers comes in. It allows many words to be adressed, but they are not updated in one RIO cycle. It takes SEVERAL RIO CYCLES to update the block transfers.

In short: You should get the basic io working first. Did you check the dip switch setting in rack #5 ?
What about the length of the RIO network ?
If you leave the RIO cable plugged into #6, but shut down the #6 and use the original program (without #6 in the io configuration), does the program work OK ?

Hi Willy, its me again :)

1. Problem with the other RIO racks when rack #6 is connected:
Has this one been resolved or not ?
Have you checked the DIPSW settings on the adapter in rack #5 ?

2. If no 1. is OK: I suspect that the problems with the block transfers is that the HSCE2 module in rack #6 doesnt respond.
Are there some DIPSW settings on this module ?
Have you tried to swap the HSCE2 module in this rack with another ?

3. If no 2. is OK: check the block transfer bits for the BTW/BTR in 70:1/70:2
Does the STARTED bits (n120:55/14 and n120:50/14) come sometime ?
Does the ENEBLEDWAITING bits (n120:55/10 and n120:50/10) come sometime ?
Does the NORESPONSE bits (n120:55/9 and n120:50/9) come sometime ?
Does the ERROR bits (n120:55/12 and n120:50/12) come sometime ?
If an ERROR bit is set, then the words n120:57 and/or n120:52 will contain an error code.
You can try to trap the bits with some other intermediary bits via OTL.

If you find out of something, good or bad, then remember to post your findings. Its allways nice to get some feedback.

Good luck.

Hey all,

Just thought I mention that I was recently told by a AB reseller there is a minimum distance for blue hose, 15'. You never know it may be worth a try...

Corkers