Risk assessment of working in Progamme controlled environment?

Not sure exactly what you mean but I'll tell you my point of view according to my field of work:

When doing risk assessment, you have to take into account failure of each individual components of a process or machine. The cause of failure is not as important as the mode of failure. Damage to the controlling PLC is one of the possible causes for failure of a component and its role in the process.

That is where I would draw the line. Working with a PLC is not safer, not is it riskier. The same common sense and safety precautions must be observed.

I can't really tell from your question if you're asking about the elements that go into a risk assessment, or more generally what sort of risks are encountered around automated machinery.

There are plenty, of course. You can get crushed, get cut, get a hand trapped, get a foot trapped, be struck by flying chips or debris, get your clothes entangled, get burned, shocked, or injured by fricking laser beams.

And that's just in the shop outside my office.

I can't really tell from your question if you're asking about the elements that go into a risk assessment, or more generally what sort of risks are encountered around automated machinery.

There are plenty, of course. You can get crushed, get cut, get a hand trapped, get a foot trapped, be struck by flying chips or debris, get your clothes entangled, get burned, shocked, or injured by fricking laser beams.

And that's just in the shop outside my office.

Ken, I once explained to my girlfriend what a risk assessment was. I took "going to the bathroom" as an example. I nearly drove her paranoid. Needless to say, we don't go too technical when we talk about work since then.

The same analogy would be very useful when explaining confined space work practices training.