RJ45 Crimping Tool

Tharon

I've had some bad luck finding a quality RJ45 crimping tools, and am looking for some recommendations to what you guys use.

I have one Greenlee 45575 and it works just fine. But then I tried to get a second one, same model. It was constantly 'miss' between 2 and 4 of the pins and just push them off to the side. Exchanged it twice, all three new versions had the same problem. But the old, original unit still worked perfectly every crimp.

Distributor sent me a Greenlee 45553 after the third 45575 failed to work correctly. For the first two weeks it seemed ok, so I was happy. Now though, it is missing the 1st and 2nd crimp.

I don't think I'm misusing the device, and am using the Greenlee brand RJ45 connectors, 45745.

So, what tools do you guys use? Because it's so frustrating to be working on a machine, be finished with everything, but struggle with something as simple as an RJ45 connector...

Make sure the RJ45 connectors are being used with the right type of cable!!!
A CAT5 RJ45 connector will not properly crimp on a CAT6 cable; the reciprocal is also true.
Do not use CAT5/6 universal crimp-on connectors: there are nothing but trouble...:mad:
Greenlee is one of the best tooling manufacturers out there...It's hard to believe they make so many duds..:unsure:

I didn't really think the cable could be the issue. I'm using a left over 1000' spool of CAT6 Riser I had from an building expansion.

The two crimp tools don't mention whether they are supposed to be for 5 or 6, and the connectors just say "RJ45", they don't specify 5 or 6. And the original crimp tool doesn't have an issue either way.

The odd thing is the blade/pin is just pushed off to the side and the finger on the tool rides up along side the pin rather than pushing it into the wire.

I too never had an issue with Greenlee. Majority of my tools in my pouch are that brand. So is my issue just the wrong combination of crimper, connector, and cable?

I have used the AMP Tyco Modular Plug Hand RJ45 Tool Crimper 2-231652-0 forever. It end loads, so the crimp doesn't start at one side and "piano" crimp to the other. That said, the lower jaw will wear out eventually. I have seen them on Ebay cheap ! As noted above, use the verified connector to mate your cable.

I think I'm going to try a different connector. I like the looks of those EZ RJ45s, being able to pull the wires completely through will stop my guys from leaving the wires too long and the outer cable insulation not being crimped down under the connector. Hopefully the connector solves the issues I'm having.