RJ45 jack splitter for 100BASE-TX

modiconguy

I'm connecting up two remote ethernet devices to the switch in my control panel, and I'm trying to do the cleanest install. The customer typically provides a single shielded ethernet cable terminated with a plug and the remote devices are each using half the pairs. I need to adapt the pairs back to two ethernet cables to both go into my switch. I found several devices that could be used with a mix of couplers and punchdowns to make it work but I keep thinking there has to be a single unit to do it all.
Electrically I want this:
https://tripplite.eaton.com/2-to-1-...-10-100-ethernet-cat5-cat5e-m-2xf-6in~N035001
But I want only jacks and DIN rail mounting like this (note that this one has all pairs wired together which won't work for ethernet):
https://www.sourceasi.com/shop/asi4...breakout-din-rail-mount-asi470999-54054#attr=

Does anyone have a product in mind?

If I understand correctly, the customer has provided an Ethernet cable where one device uses two pairs (e.g. the standard Ethernet pairs 1/2 and 3/6) and another device uses a different two pairs (e.g. the unused pairs 4/5 and 7/8) on that cable.

You should be able to use any RJ45 splitter (such as one of the ones you provided links to) in conjunction with custom-terminated Ethernet cables.

As you've noted, RJ45 splitters simply parallel the signals, so you would need to create two custom Ethernet cables that only terminate the proper wires on each end. For example, one cable would terminate pins 1/2 and 3/6 on one end to pins 1/2 and 3/6 on the other end, respectively. The other cable would terminate pins 4/5 and 7/8 on one end to pins 1/2 and 3/6 on the other end.

If I understand correctly, the customer has provided an Ethernet cable where one device uses two pairs (e.g. the standard Ethernet pairs 1/2 and 3/6) and another device uses a different two pairs (e.g. the unused pairs 4/5 and 7/8) on that cable.

Yes.

You should be able to use any RJ45 splitter (such as one of the ones you provided links to) in conjunction with custom-terminated Ethernet cables.

I'm trying to use off-the-shelf parts and cables to keep things clean for my team.

As you've noted, RJ45 splitters simply parallel the signals, so you would need to create two custom Ethernet cables that only terminate the proper wires on each end.

No, the first link I posted is to a product that does the custom mapping correctly as shown on the sticker. This would allow me to use ordinary patch cables. I just want the DIN-rail and jacks version form-factor from the second link.

No, the first link I posted is to a product that does the custom mapping correctly as shown on the sticker. This would allow me to use ordinary patch cables. I just want the DIN-rail and jacks version form-factor from the second link.
Well that's a new one for me. I've never seen an RJ-45 splitter like that. With something so specialized, it may be hard to find what you're looking for, especially since Eaton doesn't seem to make any other splitters with the custom wiring.

If DIN rail isn't a must, could you just use that Eaton Tripp Lite adapter and an RJ-45 female to female coupler, such as this:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7283

I have used these couplers before and I even carry one with me when going to customers sites. It has saved me from having to carry a 100' cable with me on a number of occasions.

I have used these couplers before and I even carry one with me when going to customers sites. It has saved me from having to carry a 100' cable with me on a number of occasions.

As mentioned above I did find options for couplers and punchdown blocks but I'm trying to see if the solution is simpler still.

How about this? Google: Din Rail Mount. Then you can use the 2nd item.

This is a neat part, I'll ask the vendor if they can match the screw holes.

Nevermind, the pinout's not the same as the Tripp Lite one. Pins 4 and 5 are swapped when connecting to pins 1 and 2.

Yep this only solves one constraint at the cost of others. Thank you though.

I'm connecting up two remote ethernet devices to the switch in my control panel, and I'm trying to do the cleanest install. The customer typically provides a single shielded ethernet cable terminated with a plug and the remote devices are each using half the pairs. I need to adapt the pairs back to two ethernet cables to both go into my switch. I found several devices that could be used with a mix of couplers and punchdowns to make it work but I keep thinking there has to be a single unit to do it all.
Electrically I want this:
https://tripplite.eaton.com/2-to-1-...-10-100-ethernet-cat5-cat5e-m-2xf-6in~N035001
But I want only jacks and DIN rail mounting like this (note that this one has all pairs wired together which won't work for ethernet):
https://www.sourceasi.com/shop/asi4...breakout-din-rail-mount-asi470999-54054#attr=

Does anyone have a product in mind?

When you break out of the customer termination, maintain twisted pairs into each RJ-45 and land it without trying anything like a service loop initially. Ping and watch normal operation for a period of time.

If that fails, bypass the terminal and use the twisted pairs from the cable.

My take: customer should just run a cable for each device.

When you break out of the customer termination, maintain twisted pairs into each RJ-45 and land it without trying anything like a service loop initially. Ping and watch normal operation for a period of time.

Why doing with RJ45 splitter instead of one ethernet switch on remote side?

Only the last line made sense to me. The first two make it sound like I'm breaking out the individual CAT5 wires onto terminal blocks which is the exact opposite of what I want to do in this control panel.