Rockwell vmware and lic files

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
My rockwell installation has gone badso i ceated a vmware pc to overcome because i need to goto site. My licences are for FT View ME and RS Logix 5000 and all are locked to my real Hard Disk

I copied them to the folder on the vm (so in both locations) but the vm hard disk serial is not matching. FT actiation tool shows the licences but if i open RS Logix it says unlicenced

Do i need to call Rockwell and get it changed to the vm hd serial or is there a workaround. I cannot seem to borrow the licences from the host

The hard disk serial is 8 digit like XXXX-XXXX

i am not trying to pirate anything here, just get a solution

You should be able to re-host your original, and re-activate them on your vm.

You could also setup your host to be an activation server and your vm a client, but I'm betting you're looking for a quick solution if you're about to get to site.

re-hosting and reactivate, or change your serial number its not actual the hard drive serial but a windows assigned soft-serial that is setup when you install windows.
It is changeable, however depending on your setup may have other consequences, for example if you have other software using that HD serial on your vmware install.

I have used VolumeID v2.0 to change my 'HD serial' in the past when in a pickle and not able to re-host, ie no network connection. Its a simple command line tool and will allow you to change your vmware to match your old HD serial.

Added a image of me doing it on one of my vms

before and after a restart

2rx6v7p.jpg

Last edited:
Hi I will try that tool because it is only a temporary fix..I want ra software to be on the host

Thanks guys... i ended up setting up a licence server/client for now

Cheers

I use the USB Dongle and "attach" and "detach" it to/from the VMware session. Each session has a copy of the same licence files. I find this relatively quick and easy to use.

G.