RS Linx remote connectivity issues

kxs436

Hello All,
I am trying to connect to a remote PLC with a static IP over the internet using 'TCP-IP remote device via linx gateway'.

But I am unable to see any device in the Linx. I am using windows 7 64 bit computer and the Linx version is Lite 2.57.

Any thoughts or suggestions please?

thanks a lot
Karthik

Are you connecting to a remote computer that is running RSLinx Gateway? That is what that option is for.

If not, the normal Ethernet Devices driver should be sufficient. Are you able to ping that remote PLC?

OG

Hi,
I am trying to connect to a remote Microloxix PLC which has a static IP.

The ML1100 is connected to the internet via a Ethernet switch. An HMI is also connected to the switch

When I use Ethernet device, I get the 'device found' but unrecognized device. This might most likely because The IP address that I typed in is for the switch?

SO how/where to I type in the IP address of the PLC which is connected to the switch?

thanks

Ok, So lots of potential security risks in connecting a PLC and an HMI directly to the internet. But, putting that aside for the moment........

Why did you enter the switch's IP address? What happens when you try the IP address of the PLC instead of the switch? You want to go through the switch to what is connected to it. You want to talk to the PLC, not the switch.

The fact that your switch has an IP address tells us it is a "managed" switch. This could affect what you an and cannot do remotely. Can you tell us about the switch? Make, model, etc...

OG

My PLC has a local IP address 192.XXX.XXX.XXX. Since I am outside the LAN, I cannot enter the local static IP of the PLC.

The system integrator was able to access the PLC remotely by the RSLinx Gateway. He said to type the static IP and then the local PLC IP address in the network no under the driver configure.

Obviously I am not very clear in the setup and am trying to find out from the SI. But if you have any thoughts please pass it along.

thanks