RS Logix 500 Version Compatibilty Issues?

MikeVT

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All. I am trying to share (via email) a RSLogix 500 program I wrote, with a customer. That customer is claiming they cannot open the program, and think that there is a version compatibility issue. I haven't heard of this before, with RS Logix 500 programs. Has anyone run into this? I am using version 12.00.00.

If there is an issue, is there a way to save the program in a older version, to work around this problem?

I really suspect the end user is running a 'Lite' version of RSLogix 500.

Thanks,
Mike

Check out Rockwell KB: BF20189, copied below:

Summary
RSLogix 500: "Unexpected file format" error when opening a file
Problem
When attempting to open an .rss file in RSLogix 500 software, a dialog box appears with the message:

Unexpected file format

Environment
RSLogix 500

Solution
Cause 1
The file may have been created in a later version of RSLogix 500 software than currently installed.
Solution 1
Return to the original source of the project and perform a File-->Save As function and change the file format type to .ach and export the documentation. Open the .ach file in the older version and import the documentation.
For more details about import/export documentation please see: 35666 - How do I merge documentation from one project to a project without documentation in RSLogix 500?
Cause 2
User edited the revision notes in version 3.01.09.02 and then got the error message.
Solution 2
Open up the previous backed up version and save the file as current. If backup is not available, Contact Rockwell Software for assistance until version 4 is available. Problem has been resolved in RSLogix 500 software version 4.

Cause 3
The file is corrupted.

----

Summary, if they are trying to open it in an older revision of RSLogix 500 than your v12, that could be the issue.

1) is it a big program

2) do they need to load the program into a PLC (is the goal more than that they can read it and see the logic)?

if no to both, and mainly to #2, then convert it to a PDF and send that.

I'm pretty sure I figured out what was going on with this RS Logix 500 'Version Compatibility' issue. I ran into it again, yesterday, with a different customer.

I am using RS Logix 500, version 12.0.0 When selecting a processor type, when building a new program, there is a new option for ML1400 processors - Bul.1766 MicroLogix 1400 Series B (Enhanced Password Security).

m0nf7GEuA3MAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

This option is apparently a RSLogix 500 version 12 option ONLY! When trying to go online (via remote access using team view), with RS Logix version 10.0.0, I got an error message something like - "Processor not recognized. Cannot go online". I changed the processor type to MicroLogix 1400 Series B - _without_ the enhanced security, downloaded that to the PLC, and RSLogix version 10 connected with the PLC just fine.

The bottom line here, is, if you need to provide the capability of older RSLogix 500 versions to access (go online) with the PLC, do not choose 'Enhanced Password Security' when selecting your processor type.

Thank you MikeVT for posting an update on this. I recently upgraded from 8 to 12 and AFAIK I'm the only engineer in this plant that has done so. When I read your initial post about backwards comparability I sucked up some seat cushion thinking of the imminent issue I'll have when sharing files at work. Glad to know it's likely just the enhanced security option.

Duranthas,

You are welcome!

I was able to confirm this in our panel shop, yesterday. I downloaded a ML1400 program created with RSLogix 500 v12, but with ML1400 series B processor (Not the Enhanced Password Security option), then pulled out an old laptop with RS Logix V9 on it. That old laptop connected just as it should have - no problems.

I was also able to confirm that the Enhanced Password Security option, first became available in V11.