RS232 Cable wiring.

So, wait a minute. Solder connections are water proof / water tight / whatever? I've never even thought about trying to make a 9-pin connector that could handle getting wet. But, it seems like if you seal up the hood, a crimp and poke would be as water tight as anything else. No?

-jeff

BTW: They also make crimp connection types that you crimp the wire to the pin then insert into the hole where it locks in...at least if done right. An internet search for crimp DB9 will show examples.

I had to think about the washdown aspect, not sure I know of any devices that would use a DB9 that would or should be exposed in that kind of environment, does not mean there is not though. The mating point regardless how the connetor(s) are made would be difficult to seal I would think.

Last edited:
Those are what I call crimp and poke connectors. You crimp the pin onto the wire, and poke it into the proper hole. Somewhere along the way someone told me those were milspec connections because of thier vibration immunity. I've never independently verified that though. If you ever happen to get that last stinking wire into the wrong hole, and wanna get it out to try again ... you'll find out how just well some of them can lock in.

-jeff

its more the chemicals they use, the crimp pins corroded to quickly to make them useful here then again our washdown is at 155 PSI at 180 degrees using a caustic soda mixture so even the nema 6p rated devices have trouble staying dry.