RS500 Elements Vs Words

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
OK so in RS500 it Goes

<FilePrefix><FileNumber>:<Element>.<Word>/<Bit> Right?

C50:10.PRE
C50:10/DN

But you would you ever have a a reference that had a Word and a Bit?

I am asking because I am writing a .SLC file parser in C#.

Also

N23:10 is a Word
and
C50:10 is an Element
Correct?

Which is really annoying because my parser will have to know That C has elements and N as Words. I can do it it just adds another layer of complexity through.

Yes. In your example you could address bit 3 of N23:10 as N23:10/3
C50:10 is a structure. It is made up of a .PRE preset, .ACC accumulator, .DN or /DN done bit, .CU or /CU counting up bit and .EN or /EN Enable bit. You can only use that address to reference a CTU or CTD counter up or down or RES reset instruction.

Also B files can be addressed as B3:0 an entire 16 bit word.
Or as B3:0/0 bit 0 of the word B3:0.
Or as B3/16 bit 0 of word B3:1. So B3:1/0 is the same as B3/16.
Some of the IO can be addresses the same way as B files.

I am asking because I am writing a .SLC file parser in C#

you might find it helpful to use RSLogix 500 to do a "Fle Save As" operation and save the project file as an SLC Library type file ... then open that file with Notebook and take a look at how the data is parsed and stored there ... it might give you some ideas on how to proceed with your project ...

good luck with it ...

slc_data.PNG

So B3:1/0 is the same as B3/16.
Some of the IO can be addresses the same way as B files.

Oh dear, duh on me, you drop the bloody colon!

I had read this somewhere and yesterday spent to much time trying to find where and fiddling around to get the syntax, and just could not get N99:/[N199:0] or whatever to work.

So B3/N is the same as B3:0/N for all N?

Sweet.

OP: it's C#; do it with class(es).

So B3/N is the same as B3:0/N for all N?

not quite ...

suppose you take bit B3:0/15 (the sixteenth bit/box within the WORD B3:0) as an example ...

the next bit/box in line would be B3:1/0 ... specifically, the first bit/box within the WORD B3:1 ...

or ...

you could reference that same bit/box as B3/16 ...

note that the B-style format allow you to "bridge" sequentially from one 16-WORD to the next ... the N-style format won't do that ...

EDIT:

here are some older posts which might be useful ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=81320&postcount=8
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=55611&postcount=10

Last edited:
No I think it is; see the image below.

And when I enter

Code:
B3/[N7:1]
My freebie [RSLogix Micro Starter Lite] changes it to
Code:
B3:0/[N7:1]
and it works as expected i.e.
Code:
B3:<(N7:1)//16>/<(N7:1)%16>
where // is integer division (truncation, fix, whatever your background), and % is modulo.

a similar thing happens if I enter

Code:
B3:0/17
i.e. it becomes
Code:
B3:1/1
So in general, and ignoring any typos,

Code:
B3/N => B3:<N//16>/<N%16>
and

Code:
B3:M/N => B3:<((M*16)+N))//16>/<N%16>

xxx.png

not sure whether the "freebie" RSLogix 500 has this feature or not - but if you can get to the Address Display tab shown below, try experimenting with the settings that I've indicated ...

address_display.PNG

you might find it helpful to use RSLogix 500 to do a "File Save As" operation and save the project file as an SLC Library type file ... then open that file with Notebook and take a look at how the data is parsed and stored there ... it might give you some ideas on how to proceed with your project ...

good luck with it ...
yes that is where i am getting the files to parse.

OP: it's C#; do it with class(es).

.... yup, you must not be familiar with my rants......

Last edited:
You might want to familiarize yourself with the old handheld programmer codes needed for timers and counters

They couldn't do /DN, /EN ?acc etc so they used T4:7.11 to 7.15 [memory here so might be off and I don't remember which is exactly DN, EN, TT, PRE or ACC]

not sure whether the "freebie" RSLogix 500 has this feature or not - but if you can get to the Address Display tab shown below, try experimenting with the settings that I've indicated ...

It's got it, and I've experimented with it before. Then I did it again at your suggestion, and then I couldn't get the bloody dialog back!

"Hey, what kind of mind game is this Ron fellow trying to play?"

"Oh, the LAD window needs to have focus, then the [View]=>[Properties...] button shows up."

Man, the things you have to know to get by ... ;)

Man, the things you have to know to get by ...

then consider what you have to know in order to TEACH it ... especially in 12-hour-a-day classes - five days in a row - with six students who are all highly motivated and desperate to learn ... and give a money-back satisfaction guarantee - and don't collect payment "up front" ...

retirement has its advantages - but to tell the truth, I do sort of miss the challenge of working without a safety net ...

oh, well ... I guess it's time for a nap now ...

Last edited:
As for the library I am creating. I plan on publishing it on github, the only reason I haven't is that I am using real world PLC code in my unit tests right now and I need to create some generic code to use that isn't proprietary.

It is actually on GitHub right now I just have the repo as private for now. Note: I don't plan to spend a lot of time on it. I'm just going to add things that I need to do my job.