1769-SDN Setup in RS500 VS Studio5000

JoeLuna

I am working on upgrading a system with a ML1500 that uses a 1769-SDN DeviceNet Scanner to a CompactLocix L24ER-QB1B. Due to cost, I need to reuse the 1769-SDN module.
In RS500 the 1769-SDN configuration for I/O is 16 bit.
In Studio5000 the 1769-SDN configuration for I/O IS 32 bit.
I have the original .dnt file which I think will remain the same for the 1769-SDN module since the DeviceNet field devices are not changing.

My question is how to address the set up issues for 16 bit to 32 bit?

See the manual (page 16 & 17). It looks like the 180 16-bit words for slave device input from the Micrologix should map directly to a DINT array of size 90 in the CompactLogix, and similarly for the outputs.

Note that the status structure and command array in the micrologix took up input/output words, but are completely separate in the compactlogix.

So for example word 66 in the Micrologix inputs (the first non-status input word) will now be the lower half of Inputs[0] in the Compactlogix, word 67 the upper half, word 68 the lower half of Inputs[1], etc.

And for outputs word 3 from the Micrologix will be the lower half of Output[0], word 4 becomes the upper half, word 5 is the lower half of Output[1]...

One thing to watch out for is if you were (eg) reading an INT, it is now only half of the word, so your program will likely have to extract it from the DINT before making use of it.

Disclaimer: I've dealt with a 1769-SDN in a Compactlogix, but never in a Micrologix or conversion. Seems straightforward enough though.

Last edited:
The biggest thing is the move of all the status registers from the I/O image to their own tags.

It might be as simple as copying the Input DINT array to a buffer INT[x] array, and doing the opposite with the outputs. Leave the logic all in 16-bit elements.

The devices matter, of course; if you had to shoehorn 32-bit devices into a16-bit MicroLogix in the past, it's a great opportunity to make them native.