RS5K Generic Ethernet Modules

scottmurphy

I have 18 Ethernet/IP VSD's configured as generic ethernet modules. I had a situation today, where the VSD 'dropped' off the network, we replaced the ethernet cabling, and it came right.

We are thinking it could of been a couple of things:
  1. The cable was faulty/damaged, long patch leads have been used.
  2. The RPI was too high (20mS), but when I changed this to 250mS, the problem was still present
The other problem I noticed, was that whilst the VSD was not connecting, the status words that I was reading retained there last updated value, this is fine, as is what to be expected.

What I want to know, is how can I determine if any particular node is offline?
I could code some sort of heartbeat I guess, but I would of thought that the node present status could be read via the software somewhere???

Scott,

Do a GSV - Class name 'Module', Instance Name '<the drive name in your I/O tree>', Attribute Name 'EntryStatus'. Store that in a DINT tag, then do a MVM (Masked Move) on that tag with a mask of 16#F000. If the destination tag from the MVM equals 16384 (4000h), then the drive is communicating. If not, then the drive is not communicating.

Awesome, thanks very much for that. Was exactly what I was after.

Is there a technote or something that details the complete status that is returned from the GSV?

jimbo3123 said:
This is probably a dumb question, but what is a VSD?

a variable speed drive. there are lots of names, like inverter, VFD(variable frequency drive). A unit which alters the supply frequency to a motor load.

myles