Newbie In RS5K

Secpcb

I am trying to learn more and deeper in RSLogix5K. For 1 machine here with a ControlLogix I have version 20.05, so I am teaching myself on that.

I created a project, added the racks and IO. I made controller tags for all the IO and some base tags for conditions. So far this is all digital/Boolean.

I have most of my experience on RSL5 and RSL500, and think I am pretty good at them.

I created AOI's, added the input/output parameters and wrote some logic.

Now the questions:

How do you setup a call for an AOI? I found the instruction, but it seems to be an input instruction and only has one parameter. Do I need a call for each parameter, or does this expand?

I would like to learn about UDT's, how to create them well, how to format them and how to use them. Then I want to expand into statement list & function block programming. I have done some statement list on other PLC's.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare PLC to test on, but I do have the Full version of RSL5K and RSArchitect, and can download up to version 27 with my serial #.

When I learn these I want to install at least ver 26 as it has more options and benefits.

The timers and counters that you are familiar with in 5/500 are perfect examples of UDTs and AOIs.

A UDT is a bundle of elements that you define to keeps things together. Ladder (or other language) acts on the elements but because they are bundled together, they're easier to keep track of.

A AOI has the same principals as a UDT but there is code that goes along with it. A timer or counter are basically pre-defined AOIs.

Do a search at youtube for Rockwell AOIs help - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQi4nDRokMw

I found the AOI in the instruction toolbar.

I was expecting it to be an 'output' instruction, similar to JSR, but it showed on the left where an input instruction would be.

Then I found that when a parameter for an AOI is created it does not have the Visible and Required checkboxes checked by default, so they don't show until I went back into the AOI and checked them all.

I have AOI's now working in the emulator in RS5k.

Now I am trying to learn about UDT's, but the group of YouTube videos I downloaded are not consistent with one another and so far not clear.

Also, if someone has had this, I tried to install Studio v27, but it failed saying I had ver 23.00.1 of Logix Designer Motion Database installed and it needed ver 24.00. I also tried other versions and got similar errors that it needed higher versions - but non of the installs I did successfully complete updated past ver 23.00.1

I couldn't find any download of this on Rockwell support, or even a KB article. Has anyone updated this?