Few newbie questions

Squarewave

Hello all, I'm a new member here. I've joined as I want to learn about PLC programming.

I've got a few questions to begin with. To get me started, I've downloaded and installed RSLogix Micro.

One of the questions I have to begin with, is when I want to edit the properties of any of the data files, the 'elements' box is greyed out, I cannot alter it. Any ideas why this may be?

Thanks.

Two possibilities off the top of my head

1) You're looking at table 0 or 1. The size (number of elements) in the input & output data files cannot be edited; they are set based on your configured I/O

2) You have selected a MicroLogix 1000 as your processor; the ML 1000 had fixed data tables that could not be expanded or added to.

Thankyou, yes I selected 1000 as my processor.

A few other issues which I've been unable to work around are two error messages when I verify...

...'operand not entered' for an XIO bit, which I have tied to a timer. I've tried searching for a reason but I'm just not clear on it.

Thanks.

...'operand not entered' for an XIO bit, which I have tied to a timer. I've tried searching for a reason but I'm just not clear on it.
What is the exact address you entered for the XIO? Normally that error indicates you haven't given it an address at all (it will show a ? over the XIO instruction)

Might be easier if you post a screenshot of what you have

..One of the questions I have to begin with, is when I want to edit the properties of any of the data files, the 'elements' box is greyed out, I cannot alter it. Any ideas why this may be?

The MicroLogix 1000 is the most limited controller. It does not allow you to create additional elements beyond what is created by default. This is primarily due to the limited amount of memory available on these controllers.

As to your question on the XIO bit, as plvlce mentions, a screenshot would help immensely.

OG

Ok thanks, looks like I mistook the address for name, so I've named it as the timer and that message has gone, but now I get

....'Parsed entry as Symbol T4 is valid for a symbol but is not in the database'. The timer is entered in the data files, but this message only came about after addressing?

I'll get a screenshot in a moment.

If you want to start with something more modern you can install the CCW software, it has a free version, for the Micro 800 PLC family.

With it you can create your own list of variables (tags), arrays, structures ..

Ok thanks, looks like I mistook the address for name, so I've named it as the timer and that message has gone, but now I get

....'Parsed entry as Symbol T4 is valid for a symbol but is not in the database'. The timer is entered in the data files, but this message only came about after addressing?

I'll get a screenshot in a moment.

The software allows you to use symbolic names (called "symbols") as an alternative to using a logical address. For example CONVEYOR_START instead of I:0/4. In order to use these symbols, they have to be defined. Somewhere we must tell it the symbolic name and tie it to a specific logical address. My guess is that it misinterpreted an address that you typed for a symbol. This can happen when we don't type the address correctly. Again without a screenshot to show us, we are just guessing.

I would suggest retyping the address for your timer. Make sure it is something like T4:0
Likewise, your XIO should be something like T4:0/DN (or EN or TT)

In my example below, the top rung is not using any symbols, where the bottom rung is. The text with the green background is a symbol. Also note that for the XIO instructions, the address is split, with part of it above the instruction and part of it below. But when you hover your cursor on it, a tooltip appears that shows it all in one line.

I highly recommend that you configure the software to show you the address all in one line. it make sit much easier when you are learning the system. To configure this go to the View Menu at the top and select Properties. Click on the Address Display tab and the very first item is the Bit Address Format. Change that to Single Line and click OK to save the setting.

To get rid of the symbol that you accidentally created, scroll to the bottom of the Project Tree on the left edge. Look under Database for the Address/Symbol database. Double click to open it and scroll down probably to the very last item and you will see a symbol entry. Click on it and select Delete Record to remove it. Then close that window.

Hopefully that will clear up the issue.

OG

SLC logic.PNG

Thanks all so far, all very helpful.

One other issue I'm encountering is, RSLinx is hanging when I open it saying 'checking activation'. It won't move forwards from there. The launch control panel says the application is running, though it's stuck on checking activation. Any ideas? Thanks.