Newbie Question: PowerFlex Revision Update

JHoney

Good morning,

I've had an inverter fail with firmware revision 5.002, the only spare is Rev 7.001, when updating the project with the new inverter details it won't let me change the the Rev number beyond 5.002.

I've downloaded the new firmware Rev from RA and now have a .dmk file that I don't know what to do with.

Any help would be appreciated.

You probably don't need that file. That's to change the DRIVE's firmware, not the PLC. Perhaps you are trying to change the drive to 5.002, in which case you would need ControlFLASH, also downloadable from Rockwell. But I wouldn't recommend doing that.

From what I'm guessing, you are controlling that drive via a ControlLogix/Compact Logix PLC via ethernet, and when you try to change the drive's settings in the I/O tree, the dropdown menu only goes to 5.002, not the 7.0 that the drive needs.

If so, then what you need is the "drive library" for Logix/Studio to be able to understand what that drive is. One way to get that library is to install the latest version of Studio. But that can be a pain. An easier method is to build the library file from the drive itself.

The first thing you'll need to do is get your copy of RSLinx to be able to browse to the drive. You can either put your laptop on the network that it is on, or do a "pass-through" on the PLC's ENBT card (or equiv.) by navigating to that card in RSLink, unscroll it and select "Ethernet", right click on that and select "Properties", and add the I.P address of your drive (and any other I/O you care to view in RSLinx). When successful, you'll see the drive in RSLinx.

Next step is to go online with the PLC, open your existing drive in the I/O tree, and select ]Change ..]. On that popup select [Match Drive], then browse to the drive.

Logix / Studio will then read all the configurations from the existing drive, all the peripherals and all the parameters, and upload them to the project.

Now, if you are looking to take the old parameters and push those down to the new drive -- that's a different problem and another post.

Cheers,

Thanks for the response.

I ended up downloading the extra files and was able to update the database on studio which remedied the issue.

Cheers for your help.