RSL5 to Logix conversion clean-up

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello. I went from RSL5 to RSL5000 (V.20), bit of a nightmare. The RSL5 was uploaded from the PLC-5/40, not a copy with descriptions and address names. I do have a hard copy of the ladder logic, with descriptions and other info. I have been trying to edit the tag database in excel, thinking that is the quickest way however, it seems quicker to go line-by-line in the RSL project and enter descriptions there. What is the most expedient way to do this that you folks would recommend? Thank you.

In reconstructing from hard copy, the line-by-line/rung-by-rung addition of address descriptions has the advantage of paging through without missing anything.

On the other hand, going to the Database File(s) at the bottom of the Project Explorer and filling in there is a bit more convenient, but is ordered by address rather than program location.

I'm wondering if anyone has success with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) on a ladder file printout, such that cut-and-paste would work. Depending on the size of the job, could be more trouble than benefit.

I just did a SLC to Compactlogx project. I tried the conversion utility and just didnt like the results. I ended up putting the RSL500 project on one monitor and the 5K project on the other monitor and just going line by line.

It may take a little longer but I am really happy with the results. I got to choose tag names that made sense, remove a bunch of unused code and made some improvements at the same time. Since I am the guy that has to maintain the system I am happy that I went this route.

Now I will admit that my program was not all that large but I would argue that the larger the program the more important it is to make it as simple as possible. PUMP1_START is a whole lot easier to understand than B3:1/0 is. 🍻

Hello. I went from RSL5 to RSL5000 (V.20), bit of a nightmare. The RSL5 was uploaded from the PLC-5/40, not a copy with descriptions and address names. I do have a hard copy of the ladder logic, with descriptions and other info. I have been trying to edit the tag database in excel, thinking that is the quickest way however, it seems quicker to go line-by-line in the RSL project and enter descriptions there. What is the most expedient way to do this that you folks would recommend? Thank you.

If you don't have a copy of the 500 database in a .CSV format. Then I see no advantage using excel. You have to manually enter all the tag descriptions anyway, your best option is to add them to the program.

If you had an old file that contained the descriptions then converting that using excel would have been my choice.

@Bullzi, you can copy paste rungs from 500 or PLC5 into 5000. Then modify with search and replace. Timers will have to be redone. No base time format in 5000.

I just did a SLC to Compactlogx project. I tried the conversion utility and just didnt like the results. I ended up putting the RSL500 project on one monitor and the 5K project on the other monitor and just going line by line.

It may take a little longer but I am really happy with the results. I got to choose tag names that made sense, remove a bunch of unused code and made some improvements at the same time. Since I am the guy that has to maintain the system I am happy that I went this route.

Now I will admit that my program was not all that large but I would argue that the larger the program the more important it is to make it as simple as possible. PUMP1_START is a whole lot easier to understand than B3:1/0 is. 🍻

Mine was RSL5 to RSL5000 (V.20). The conversion was bumpy but the end result was spot-on. I was amazed that even the timers converted presets properly!

I'm wondering if anyone has success with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) on a ladder file printout, such that cut-and-paste would work. Depending on the size of the job, could be more trouble than benefit.

It worked great! Because the pdf was printed in 1998, some of the characters didn't copy correctly however, overall it was a great idea! Thank you.