Rslinx Classic 3.9 Does not Show DDE/OPC tags

Mray:

I repeat you procedure and found that your topic was not active.
In order to make your topic active you have to gather data thru it.
I use OPC Expert from www.opcti.com (it´s free) in order to gather some data from my plc and as soon as i started getting data my topic change to active.

OPC Expert was acting as an opc client.

See attached files

Capture active opc.JPG Capture OPC expert working.JPG

Mray:

I use OPC Expert from www.opcti.com (it´s free) in order to gather some data from my plc and as soon as i started getting data my topic change to active.

See attached files

Ok tnx for you info.
So, you do not have any idea how I can get it active in Rslinx?

Mray:

Of course I do know, that´s what i meant , you have to gather data, in another words your topic must be active.

In my example OPC expert was my client to get data, in your case do you have a client. ??

Rslinx Professional is my OPC Server and OPC Expert is my client, you can use any client you want.

See attached files

Capture working.JPG Capture Not working.JPG

Last edited:
Mray:

Of course I do know, that´s what i meant , you have to gather data, in another words your topic must be active.

In my example OPC expert was my client to get data, in your case do you have a client. ??

Rslinx Professional is my OPC Server and OPC Expert is my client, you can use any client you want.

See attached files

Could you explain more? How should I activate my topic?

Last edited:
Mray:

See attached files

I downloaded the OPC expert and it shows my RSlinx OPC. There is nothing in ONLINE section of my OPC connection.

Also the golden lock did not appear.

Mray:
Let me explain as simple as possible, Rslinx is your OPC server ( please take into account that free rslinx lite is not an OPC server only a bridge between your PC and your PLC ) Are you sure that your rslinx version in professional or gateway and not a lite version ?
you create a topic between your pc and your plc, then you need an opc client in order to activate your topic, opc client is the piece of software that communicates with your opc server thru the topic you created.
When data is flowing between opc client and opc server then your topic is activated and the yellow lock appear.
The is a good video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK-OL03LaGg
I got some good books send me a pm with your email , i can send you a copy.

Mray:
Let me explain as simple as possible, Rslinx is your OPC server ( please take into account that free rslinx lite is not an OPC server only a bridge between your PC and your PLC ) Are you sure that your rslinx version in professional or gateway and not a lite version ?
you create a topic between your pc and your plc, then you need an opc client in order to activate your topic, opc client is the piece of software that communicates with your opc server thru the topic you created.
When data is flowing between opc client and opc server then your topic is activated and the yellow lock appear.
The is a good video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK-OL03LaGg
I got some good books send me a pm with your email , i can send you a copy.

Nice Explanation. Tnx
As I know my RSLinx version is Classic Gateway.
Rslinx.jpg

All other features work properly except DDE\OPC. I can create OPC topic but it does not show my PLC tags in ONLINE section and it is empty.

05.jpg

I sent you my Email address. Appreciate you.

The "golden lock" isn't the issue. That will appear once you have a client accessing the data. You aren't there yet. If I were to configure a topic so I could get data into Excel (Excel would be the OPC client), this step you are stuck on is essentially the "copy" you perform before pasting into Excel. Only after that, will the golden lock appear.

Referring to post #11
On screenshot #1, after right-clicking, try selecting Data Monitor. This should open a window where you can browse tags in RSLinx. This isn't DDE/OPC but this will help us verify RSLinx can see the tags in the controller.

On screenshot #3, try adding in the ofline file (use symbols). See if you can browse offline and if that wakes up the online capability.

On screenshot #4, did you modify anything here?

Are you able to get a working topic to another controller? What about another PC to this controler?

OG

Last edited:
The "golden lock" isn't the issue. That will appear once you have a client accessing the data. You aren't there yet. If I were to configure a topic so I could get data into Excel (Excel would be the OPC client), this step you are stuck on is essentially the "copy" you perform before pasting into Excel. Only after that, will the golden lock appear.

Referring to post #11
On screenshot #1, after right-clicking, try selecting Data Monitor. This should open a window where you can browse tags in RSLinx. This isn't DDE/OPC but this will help us verify RSLinx can see the tags in the controller.

On screenshot #3, try adding in the ofline file (use symbols). See if you can browse offline and if that wakes up the online capability.

On screenshot #4, did you modify anything here?

Are you able to get a working topic to another controller? What about another PC to this controler?

OG

Tnx for reply.
OK I got what the golden key means.
Answering your questions:
Screenshot 1: These is noting in Monitoring data window. It is white blank.

Screenshot 3: I do not have offline file. I do not know where I should get them.

Screenshot 4: No, I did not change any thing there. Also I can't make active topic to other controller too.

Though I can easily connect to all my PLCs through Studio 5000, I think the problem should be somewhere in RSLinx.