RSLinx data into Excel. Multiple users viewing the same data

Topaz2008

I have had experience with reading DDE data from RSLinx into excel but I have been asked by a client to generate a sheet with multiple tabs that can reside on a server and allow multiple users to navigate the same sheet.

The problem I am having is understanding how RSLinx would work in this senario. Can all copies of the same sheet access RSLinx data through one instance of RSLinx or will each user need a copy of RSLinx running? My concern with multiple copies of RSLinx running is the amount of duplicate traffic to the PLC.

I am aware that a SCADA system would be better but the client does not have the budget for this.

Has anyone got any ideas they can share?

Create a single spreadsheet that reads data through RSLinx, then create another shared spreadsheet that reads data from the original spreadsheet.

Create a single spreadsheet that reads data through RSLinx, then create another shared spreadsheet that reads data from the original spreadsheet.

Thanks for the reply. I came to the same conclusion myself about an hour ago. Why I didn't think of it sooner I don't know...

I had to do this in about '05. Seems like (then) I had to add a macro to save the "master" workbook every few minutes, and when you opened the other workbook, you got a snapshot of what was there that had to be refreshed.

I do remember that within days or a week or two at best, it would freeze and I had to restart Excel, sometimes RSLinx too. As a temporary communication aid, it was still worth it.