RSLinx data logging to Excel

TampMan

Hey all

I am working a project where we have a vision camera taking readings on three sections of our material. The camera is already interfaced with our AB PLCs and the readings can be viewed in RSLogix5000. What we want to do for an initial proof of concept is to view the logged data in Excel and see how it comes out based on different materials/tests.

I have used RSLogix/Linx before, but it was only to implement a timer in Excel that showed the current running time of a piece of equipment. In this case, we are going to have constant stream of values that need to be shown in 250 (example number) different cells in Excel. Does RSLinx OEM (what I used previously) have the capability to link a few hundred data values to Excel? What is the most efficient way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any/all help and clarifications

For a proof-of-concept you could try something like this...

In the PLC, write your 250 values into an array, using a FIFO to keep them ordered if necessary.

Create an Excel workbook with a sheet using standard DDE format for reading PLC tags via RS-Linx OEM (e.g., =RSLINX|topic!'TagArray[0]')

Since you don't want to type the DDE formula 250 times, there is a bit of a trick that, at least, works in my version of Excel (2010).

In column A, type '[0 into the cell A1, and then drag it down to A251 to create '[1, '[2, ... '[250.

In cell B1, create the formula ="x=RSLINX|topic!'TagArray"&A1&"]'" being careful with placement of double and single quotes (it ends with single, double). This should show up as follows in B1:

x=RSLINX|topic!'TagArray[0]'

Next copy and paste this string from B1 to B2 through B251. The array element should increment through 250.

Next copy B1 through B251 and pastes AS VALUES into C1 through C251

Finally select C1 through C251 to search and replace (CTRL-H) using replace x= with =

For me, with Excel 2010, this converts the column C to DDE formulas.