rslinx; Dell Precission M90; opcenum error

doug2

I was able to load and activate all of my Rocksoft software on my new dell m90 except RSLinx (can't do anything without that). During install at the point that the software trys to start services I get error 1920 OpcEnum failed to start. I have to cancel the in stall. I cant even start that service manually. RS tech support gave up in about 2 hrs and dell tech support gave up in about 45 minutes. Tried to reload the operating sys but no luck?

doug2 said:
I was able to load and activate all of my Rocksoft software on my new dell m90 except RSLinx (can't do anything without that). During install at the point that the software trys to start services I get error 1920 OpcEnum failed to start. I have to cancel the in stall. I cant even start that service manually. RS tech support gave up in about 2 hrs and dell tech support gave up in about 45 minutes. Tried to reload the operating sys but no luck?

Ding Ding Ding Ding, bell ringing over this one.
I recall something similiar in trying to install RSView on a Dell machine. Turned out is was a BIOS setting in the dell on multi-thread processing. Check the machine's BIOS and see if there is such a setting.

Ian

From the knowledgebase

Installation Error: Internal Error 1920: Could not start OPCEnum service

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Rockwell Automation cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this issue, add quotation marks around the following value in the Windows registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\OPEnum\ImagePath
The ImagePath value contains the path of the executable file for the service. To add quotation marks around the ImagePath value for a service:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate, and then click the following registry entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\OPCEnum.

4. In the right pane, double-click ImagePath.
5. In the Value data box, add quotation marks around the complete path of the executable file for the service.
Example:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\OPC Foundation\OPCENUM.EXE"
6. Click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.
7. Start the OPCEnum service form the Service Control Manager.
8. Reinstall RSLinx.

Answer ID 28657
Products Communications and Network Products
RSLinx
Last Updated 11/04/2006 06:49 PM
Access Level Everyone
Prev. TN# E83330964

RS tech support tried that 1. No success. I just did it again to make sure and when I get to the start service portion I get error 1053 the service did not start in a timely fasion.

blue screen of death- rs linx lite

I brought this up awhile back and have just been living with it.

My new Dell Latitude D820 (XP Pro w/ SP2) brings up a blue screen of death every once in awhile. Usually when I try to shut down. I first noticed it when trying to close RSlinx lite. That will do it everytime. I also never experienced this problem until I loaded the rockwell products on my new laptop. As such, I am confident that a Lynx driver is the culpret. I did not keep up with my Rockwell support contract and as such am not sure if I am current on software.

The blue screen says it's a device driver issue. I can still function with RS Logix starter, Panelbuilder 32, Direct soft 5 and Moeller Easy soft Pro so I just deal with it trying to avoid additional problems that would really kill me at this time. I can't afford to try and open one of those and not be able to at this time.

That being said, it has shut down in the middle of typical office applications a couple of random times in the last week or two which it had not done before. Thats a problem! I just try to back up anything I am working on often.

I did set the RS-linx to open only manually but am unsure if that is right as I can still see the linx icon at the bottom right tile everytime I am logged on.

I have 6.20.00 RS-Logix starter and 2.41.00 RS-Linx lite. Any ideas?

Also, I started with RS-Logix starter a few years ago and it has worked great for me. The only thing I've ever wanted to do that I could not with it was the trending. I was trying to evaluate staying with the starter package and adding support to upgrading to full RS-Logix. I have contacted them and have a quote on a new support contract. I'm now told that even if I do go to standard or Pro, it will be full price (no upgrade discount) and NO support. I was also steered from any upgrade as I was told it can have minor differences from the full version. I would have to buy the 1 year support on top of the software. Should I just keep the starter and get support?

Last edited:
For the service issue, go to Start\All Programs\Rockwell Software\RsLinx\Rslinx Control Panel

Select stop\Uncheck the run as service box

doug2 said:
For the service issue, go to Start\All Programs\Rockwell Software\RsLinx\Rslinx Control Panel

Select stop\Uncheck the run as service box

I tried that and any attempt to stop RS-Linx Lite directly brings an emmediate blue screen saying "shutting down to avoid damage to my PC, BAD_POOL_HEADER".

This is why I tried the alternative selecting "manual" under the configure driver "start up" option. That stopped alot of the problems I was having but RS-Linx is still opening everytime I log on.

Is anyone running linx lite with XP Pro service pack 2 problem free? I assume many are. Did you ever have problems like I am having?

Robert,

I have been running Windows XP and RSLinx on dozens of computers for a long time now. From the original XP, to SP1 and now SP2 and Server 2003. I haven't yet gotten it to work on Vista but I haven't really tried that hard as I only have Vista on a test machine.

The Manual/Automatic settings for your driver startup do not have anything to do with how RSLinx starts. This setting has to do with what the driver does when RSLinx starts. The setting Doug2 mentioned will control how RSLinx starts.

However, since that is causing a Windows blue screen of death (BSOD) we need to try something else. I have run into a similar problem when trying to shut down RSLinx or delete/change an existing driver.

If at all possible, go to another machine and run the RSLinx Backup Restore Utility. Backup the driver configuration to a floppy disk and then take that file to your computer with the RSLinx problem and restore the driver configuration by running the same utility. Ideally the configuration you are backuping up and then restoring would be empty. This would have the effect of wiping out any existing configuration.

Hopefully by doing this you will be able to properly shutdown RSLinx without getting a BSOD. Then you can change the startup options in the RSLinx Launch Control Panel.

I would post my copy of an empty configuration but I am running a newer version of RSLinx and am not sure that it would be compatible.

Another option to prevent RSLinx from loading at startup if that does not work would be to do the following:
  1. Click on Start and choose Run
  2. Type "msconfig" without the quotes and click OK
  3. Click on the Services tab
  4. Deselect RSLinx Classic
  5. Click OK when done
  6. Reboot the computer
Lastly, (and probably best) you can go the route Mickey suggested which is to update RSLinx to the latest revision. Sometimes Windows Updates can break older versions of software so installing the update may clean the problem right up. The update is a very large file but it is a free download from the Rockwell web site. No support contract is necessary. Rslinx version 2.51 just came out about a week ago.

One other thing, to the best of my knowledge, the Starter package and the Full Versions are the same software. The Starter version just has certain functionality disabled. There should not be any need to purchase a new version, an upgrade should work just fine. Unless that is, the Starter package you are referring to is the free version of RSLogix 500. Then, yes, a new version would be required.

Hope that helps!
OG

Last edited:
I seem to recall that RSLinx is a "free" download (one of the few, maybe the only one...) from RockSoft. I know I have downloaded it directly from their site in the past, and I am NOT the name of record for our service contract. You still have to register (free).

I have not tried to do this lately.

The latest, I believe, was 2.50.