rslinx dropping connection

aryautomation

I am connecting to micrologix 1500 with my laptop and connected through USB connection (with serial tp USB convertion cable)
I can stay online for 20-30 seconds and then I get kicked out and get the message of retry or go offline. then I need to configure rslinx and try to go online again.
I am using micrologic 500 programming.
Ant help will be greatly appreciated.

What model of RS-232/USB converter are you using ? Some just aren't any good.

I've spent hundreds of hours online with A-B controllers over my Keyspan/Tripplite USA-19HS. You will find these well recommended here on the Forum.

Even the best converter will suffer if there's a ground loop or noise on the serial cable. Make sure your computer and the PLC are running from the same AC power source, and if there are servo or variable-speed drives around make sure they are well-grounded and their cables well-shielded.