RSLinx in VMware - USB Problem

sean@dsi

Hey all,

I'm trying to connect to a CompactLogix controller in RSLinx inside a VM. When I connect to the controller, I can see the USB symbol pop up in RSWho, but nothing appears when I hit expand. I've updated to the latest version of VMplayer, tried multiple USB ports, reinstalled RSlinx, so far nothing has worked.

If I run RSLinx on my host, I can see the controller no problem and connect to it - change IP and what not. As far as I know, running linx inside a VM is quite common so this is starting to frustrate me. Any tips?

Thanks

All my Rockwell stuff is in a VM. Linx Classic included. So the USB driver shows up in Linx, but you cant browse to anything?

Correct, nothing appears wen I try to expand the USB driver dropdown. Attached is what I see. The controller on 192.168 is the one I'm trying to talk to, so you can see that ethernet works fine.

gAaNfCq.png

And you have the other end plugged into the Processor USB port? I had problems where I plugged into the USB port but the computer wouldn't start the USB driver in RSLinx.

Last edited:
Also make sure that the USB is configured in the VM and that the device is connected to the host.

If you are looking at that RSLinx WSWho window and disconnect the USB cable, does the USB driver disappear (it should) completely? Does it reappear when you plug the cable back in (it should)?

OG

Oddly enough, I have a coworker who is having this exact same issue: he can't expand the USB driver to select a PLC. This is without using a virtual machine, which leads me to believe that is not the issue.

is there a wireless mouse / keyboard or other usb device connected to that set of usb ports?

is so, that may be your problem, remove the usb device.
on my desktop, I have a usb wireless mouse/keyboard connected to the fromt of the pc and the other usb port is basically dead.

james

I just talked to my coworker - he said that he swapped the PLC (CompactLogix) for a different one and was able to connect without any problems, using the same methods.

I've never used the USB connection (too much of an ethernet fanboy), but are there any drivers needed to connect via USB, that might be installed on your host machine but not the VM?

Also, what OS is your host and your VM? I know of at least one Rockwell device that will talk over USB just fine on W7 32 bit, but will not work on W7 64 bit. I mean a relatively new Compact Logix should have no such issues, but worth a thought.

My guess is that the USB driver for the CompactLogix is not being recognized by Windows (the VM).

When you plug into the USB port what does your Windows Device Manager look like? Any driver bangs? (Red X or Yellow exclamations)

OG

I've never used the USB connection (too much of an ethernet fanboy), but are there any drivers needed to connect via USB, that might be installed on your host machine but not the VM?

Also, what OS is your host and your VM? I know of at least one Rockwell device that will talk over USB just fine on W7 32 bit, but will not work on W7 64 bit. I mean a relatively new Compact Logix should have no such issues, but worth a thought.

Both the host and the VM are W7 64 bit.

My guess is that the USB driver for the CompactLogix is not being recognized by Windows (the VM).

When you plug into the USB port what does your Windows Device Manager look like? Any driver bangs? (Red X or Yellow exclamations)

OG

The device shows up in my device manager in the VM as Rockwell Automation USB CIP Device