RSLINX not communicating on RS232

anees

Dear all i mon site and i am facing problem that my RSLINX is not communicating with the RS232 port it is giving error actually this processor was on DH+ network before and its computer was crashed give me some possible reasons for that

Do an Auto Configure on the port. You will need to select the error checking - I believe default on the processor is BCC, but it has been a while.

explanation

This is SLC 5/04 and i have done this RS232 configuration several times but this is unexpected problem one of the solutions is that the program in side processor is configured on DH+ network and we r configuring it on RS232 and also when i am auto configuring it is giving me error that packets time out i hope now it is clear to you

Things to do:

1. If the Ch0 LED remains OFF all the time, can you test your PC/Cable/RSLinx setup on another PLC?

2. When you do the AutoConfig, does the Ch0 Port LED flicker? If the setup has worked on another PLC, but not on this one, then maybe the Ch0 port is damaged.

3. Is the Ch0 LED port LED slowly flashing at about a 2-3 second rate. If so then the port has been configured for DH-485 and will not respond to DF1. If this is the case then you will have to try RSLinx's AIC+/PIC DH-485 driver.

We need to isolate the problem to either:

1. The RSLinx setup.
2. The SLC5/04 port setup.
3. A hardware problem in either your PC, the cable or the SLC.

thanks alot yes it is flickering after 2-3 sec dely as i went to other processor yesterday it was communicting with my laptop so ican tell the client that it is becuse of dh485 network

Good. But please check that it is the Ch0 Serial port LED that is doing this, because you might have confused this with the Ch1 DH+ port that will ALSO behave the same it is not connected to another DH+ station.

Ignore the Ch1 DH+ port for the moment....it is the Ch0 RS-232 Serial port that you are trying to connect to. If you are correct, and the Ch0 LED is flashing at a 2-3 second rate, then that port is configured for DH-485 (which is different to DH+). You can connect to DH-485, but you will have to use the AIC+/PIC Dh-485 driver in RSLinx....delete the DF1 driver first.

so we can connect it with RS232 but by configuring the driver on DH485 if i am right than i have the RSLINX classic and their is a driver for PKTX or the card is required for that and i dont have it on my laptop so how we can go on line with that processor

Please do not mix up the Ch0 RS-232 Serial port and the Ch1 DH+ port. (Do not look at the DH+ Ch1 port, because you do not have a PKTX or PCMK card for your computer. )

If you are trying to connect to Ch0 then you will need to decide which protocol the port is configured as. With no cable connected to the port, then

IF the Ch0 LED is OFF, then the protocol is DF1.

IF the Ch0 LED is flashing slowly (2-3 secs) the protocol is DH-485.

Can you just tell me this answer and we can take the next step.

yes it is fflickering after 2-3 seconds so how we can go online and it is channel 0 waiting for ur reply i will be back after 5 minutes

Last edited:
Good. This means that the Ch0 port is configured for DH-485. This is NOT the same as DH+ and you do NOT need a PKTX or PCMK card.

1. Go to the RSLinx Configure Drivers tab.

2. If you have a DF1 driver configured, delete it.

3. Under "Available Driver Types" choose "1747-PIC/AIC+ Driver, and "Add New".

4. Click on OK for the default driver name AB_PIC-1.

5. Select Comm Port = COM1 (If you computer has its RS-232 port on COM1)

6. The Baud Rate = 19200.

7. The Station Number = 00, Maximum Station = 31.

8. When the driver starts Windows XP will ask you to "Continue with the Installation" or "Stop Installation".... choose "Continue Installation".

9. When the Driver is RUNNING you will now see the the Ch0 Green LED change to ON all the time.

10. If it does not work the first time, you may have the RSLinx and the Ch0 port using the same Station Number. Go back to "Configure Driver" and try another number.

Please reply to me if you do not understand anything.