Communicating with RSLinx Enterprise

rexcramer

This is my first time using Factory Talk ME and I am trying to setup my communications. RSLinx enterprise will not recognize my processor in slot 0 or my input card in slot one for some reason, even though RSLinx and Logix have no problem whatsoever. As a result I am having a hard time setting up the shortcut and creating a new project.

Here are screenshots maybe you can have an idea what I am missing?

Thanks

linxenterprise2.jpg linxenterprise.jpg

Hi

Sorry I just taught you may have been using an old version but you are right up to date. You don't have a different processor just to check as looking at linx its not a cable or a pc setting issue. Have you connected to any pv with this laptop after you upgraded to ver 7

Donchadh

No I have not, I am just learning about programming HMIs and FT ME. I should add that the laptop is new and running Windows 7 64 bit.

I am having no problem communicating with the PV 1250 Plus (or the PLC) through RSLinx via ethernet, so it doesn't make sense to me why RSLinx Enterprise is not seeing everything

Hi, Rex !

The new CompactLogix "5370" series of controllers, including the 1769-L36ERM, have a slight difference in the way they handle communications shortcuts compared to the ControlLogix or the older CompactLogix like the 1769-L32E or 1769-L35E.

The best way to explain it is that the new CompactLogix consider the Ethernet port to be integrated with the CPU, rather than treating it like a separate module like the 1756-series ControlLogix does. Instead of sending a message to the IP address, then the backplane, then the Ethernet module virtual Slot number, the endpoint is the IP address.

To set up an RSLinx enterprise shortcut, make the target the first icon you see in the Ethernet network, labeled "192.168.100.12, 1769-L36ERM LOGIX 5336ERM"

Thx for the reply Ken, what you describe matches what I have seen so far. That explains why slot 0 is not showing up in Enterprise. I still do not understand why my input card in slot 1 has a question mark and only says "Digital I/O".

So I tied my shortcut to "192.168.1.12, L1769-L36ERM, project name" which was the only path it would allow me to take anyways and now I know that was correct.

However when I go to Displays under the Graphics tab I cannot add any graphical items, every one I choose just turns the pointer back to an arrow.

I know it has to be something simple but after I only can stare at something so long before I ask for help.

Thanks again