RSLinx preventing computer standby

geoplc

Is there a "fix" or work around for the issue of RSLinx preventing a computer from going into standby (i.e. when the lid on my laptop is closed) I cannot seem to find any info on this issue but it becomes a battery killer when "helpers" leave RSLinx running in the background. I am running RSLinx Classic 2.51.00.21 on a XP SP3 computer (Although I have had this issue on 2000, XP SP2, etc.)

You could try not running it as a service.

Start - Programs - Rockwell Software - RSLinx - RSLinx Launch Control Panel. Stop it if it's running, then uncheck "Run as a service". Then you can start it again.

Not positive it will fix it, but it's something to try.

I have this problem as well, it seems to be the PIC driver that keeps it from going into standby, I generally delete the driver since I don't use it very often.

The other option is to not run it as a service as dmroeder said and close it when you don't need it.

I do not run it as a service, the only driver configured is ETH-1 which is most of our equipment. I just have never had a laptop with Windows that would allow standby if RSLinx is running and was wondering if I was missing something.

Did a little more investigating and found that the DH+ driver is usually left running as it is the second most used driver after our ethernet. This was the problem. Which leaves me off where I started, if I cannot get them to shutdown RSLinx and don't think they will delete the DH+ driver. Thanks for the input and insights.

Sometimes auto start of the drivers can cause problems What I do is set them to not auto start & only start them when I want them although this means stoping them on shut down this is a problem when you are using many different plc software programs that might use the ports.