RSLinx, RSWho is empty.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I installed RSLinx Classic Lite Version 3.60 on a PC running Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit.
I added the AB_ETH and AB_ETHIP drivers, but when I open RSWho, it is empty.
Any ideas?

Thank you!

Are you an Administrator user ?

Are you sure you have the "Autobrowse" feature checked in RSWho ?

Try doing a right-click and "Run as Administrator" for RSLinx Classic.

Try deleting the Harmony.HRC and Harmony.RSH files in the \RSCOMMON directory.

These are all random ideas; I've never seen the effect you are describing.

RA Knowledgebase has a few ideas, including this one: https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9032/related/1

I had to add all the IP addresses of target devices manually. Used wireshark to monitor traffic and snagged all the IP addresses that looked promising, and then add them manually by going to the "configure drivers" tool in RSLinx, then click on you AB_ETH driver, and click "configure" and keep clicking "add new" for each device. Worked for me.

EDIT: I'm not sure if the procedure I described above is legit, or necessary. Seemed to me like it should autobrowse and find my devices. But it didn't. Not sure if it's supposed to. Please advise. Are me and Elcan experiencing the same issue, or do we both just not know what we're doing?

EDIT2: I'm also using Win7 64bit which has caused me other issues with RSLinx before in the past.

Last edited:
The "Ethernet Devices" driver requires you to enter the IP address of every device manually into its Station/Hostname table.

The "EtherNet/IP" driver automatically browses your network using a broadcast packet.

There are issues that can happen with either one, involving VPNs or firewalls or multiple Ethernet adapters or Windows features. But in general, that's the difference in how they work.

What I think Elcan is describing is the absence of even the two driver objects in the RSWho browsing window.

That's different from having the two drivers appear but not have any nodes listed underneath them.

I'm glad that I don't have to do RSLinx Classic troubleshooting for a living anymore. 90+% of the time you don't have to think about it, but 10% of the time it's a brute.

The "Ethernet Devices" driver requires you to enter the IP address of every device manually into its Station/Hostname table.

The "EtherNet/IP" driver automatically browses your network using a broadcast packet.

There are issues that can happen with either one, involving VPNs or firewalls or multiple Ethernet adapters or Windows features. But in general, that's the difference in how they work.

What I think Elcan is describing is the absence of even the two driver objects in the RSWho browsing window.

That's different from having the two drivers appear but not have any nodes listed underneath them.

I'm glad that I don't have to do RSLinx Classic troubleshooting for a living anymore. 90+% of the time you don't have to think about it, but 10% of the time it's a brute.

So, Elcan is having an issue, and I just don't know what I'm doing. That wasn't one of the options, Ken ;) haha. Thanks, next time I'll try the ethernet I/p driver and see if that works.

But, I wonder, if Elcan used the ethernet devices driver, and entered the addresses manually, if that would work until he figures out the issue.

Looking at the installation log, I found out RSLinx was not installed correctly. I uninstalled it and I payed closed attention to the installation process and there are some error messages:
"Unable to write the registry value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\RSLinx\EventMessageFile access is denied"
"CComModule::UnregisterServer failed"
"Unable to install RSLinx Classic as a Window NT Service
ChangeServiceConfig failed
Access is Denied"

I ran the installer as Administrator and I've tried compatibility with Windows XP and Windows 7, with no success.
Maybe a different RSLinx verion?

So, anybody have had problems installing RSLinx 3.60 on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit?
I have installed other 2 times without a problem.

So, anybody have had problems installing RSLinx 3.60 on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit?
I have installed other 2 times without a problem.

In the start menu you have a configuration tool "RSLinx Classic Launch Control Panel" for Rslinx, were you can change how Rslinx will work, as Service or as Application.
On some mashines there is a problem with running it as a service, but as application it works.

Maybe this could work for you also.

Are you an Administrator user ?

Are you sure you have the "Autobrowse" feature checked in RSWho ?

Try doing a right-click and "Run as Administrator" for RSLinx Classic.

Try deleting the Harmony.HRC and Harmony.RSH files in the \RSCOMMON directory.

These are all random ideas; I've never seen the effect you are describing.

RA Knowledgebase has a few ideas, including this one: https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9032/related/1

Elcan, I had exactly the same problem with 2.57 / 2.59 and 3.6 Rslinx versions and the problem was the Harmony files mentioned by Ken. Make sure the RSLinx are not running by service then try to delete those two harmony files, reboot the computer end try to start the RSLinx again. It worked for me .
Best Regards.
Roberto Simião

Last edited: