RSLinx sees it vs RSWho doesn't

Mark Whitt

Hello Folks,

I've recently upgraded to RS Studio 5000 V21.00, and need to upgrade the firmware on the L71 to match. But I'm having trouble figuring out how to get ControlFlash (V12) or Logix Designer to navigate to the PLC so I can upgrade the firmware.

The problem is that while RSLinx (V3.73) will show the USB connection and I can drill down to the L71 processor via an Ethernet Connection, the RSWho will not show the USB connection, and all of the Ethernet connections (which go through an ENBT module) show unrecognized device for the ENBT so that I can't expand the chassis. The situation is the same regardless of whether I try to use ControlFlash or just access the processor from the RSWho of Logix Designer.

I'd like to get both options working, but I'm desperate enough to be happy with one or the other.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful!

RSWho.jpg

this is a complete GUESS - but I notice that you seem to be using TCP connections ... is this currently being set up through some sort of "gateway" arrangement? ... (as in using another computer's RSLinx connection) ... if so, you might try using something along the lines of a "direct" connection instead ... (as in using the RSLinx ONLY on your own computer to communicate) ...

again - this is just a GUESS - but I'm wondering if your current arrangement is something like:

(A) first dial area code - then dial number ...

instead of ...

(B) move closer - then just dial number ... (specifically, no area code needed) ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, Ron. I do have other drivers setup that can also access the processor from RSLinx. The problem I'm having is that no matter what path I use, the ENBT card displays as an Unknown device in ControlFlash's RSWho (also the same problem from Logix Designer), and I can't drill down past it into the chassis as a result. But when I look at it with RSLinx, it's all fine. It's like the RSWho is trying to use a different set of EDS files from RSLinx. And again, the USB driver that show up in RSLinx is missing in RSWho. Maybe it's time to try two tin cans and a string?

I guess I'll try to navigate through Rockwell support. I thought that I was just doing something boneheaded, and I know the people here are good-natured enough to 'nicely' point that out when it's appropriate.

I don't think that this has anything to do with your actual problem – but it might help when you discuss it with other people ...

RSWho is the "picture within the frame" of RSLinx ... RSWho is shown on the LEFT side of the picture in your post #1 ... in simplest terms, this feature is usually accessed through the RSLinx software package ...

the RIGHT side of your picture is not RSWho ... instead it is actually "Who Active" (see the title bar) ... again in simplest terms, this (other - separate) feature is usually accessed through the RSLogix software package ... (or I suppose in your case, through Control-Flash) ...

as I said, I don't think that this minor distinction in name-ology is going to make any difference to your problem – but it might make it easier to discuss over the phone with tech support ...

good luck with it – and let us know how it turns out ...

Last edited:
Solved!

This is solved - I think!

It turns out that it was a Windows 7 compatibility issue, and I was able to correct it by changing the compatibility settings as shown in the attached picture.

For both ControlFlash, and for Studio 5000, I had to check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pac 3)" check-box in the short cut properties.

After that, it all worked fine!

Note that RSLogix 5000 already had that check-box checked (I think from the original install) so that I didn't have to do anything with it for the Who Active to work.

But I have to mention that I also ended up going through a full uninstall of all versions of RSLogix5000, RSNetworx, RSLinx, and Studio 5000, and then reinstalled them due to another problem that I was dealing with at the time. I really don't believe that it's necessary to do that for THIS problem! But I wanted to make note of it in case someone else gets different results from what is suggested here.

I'll give credit to the Rockwell Support team here - even though the information they gave me didn't actually fix the problem. But what they told me did make me wonder if it was a windows 7 compatibility issue. And so, with a little bit of playing around, here we are! :p

Compatability.gif