Rslogix 500 & Rslinx- Install/Uninstall

Hi,
I run Windows XP and currently use RsLogix 500 V6.0 and RsLinx Professional.
I need to know the steps to move or reset keys, also I need to know if my key disk has already been used and not reset.

I would like to install these programs on another computer, but I'm not sure if my key disks are usable.

Another question, I would like to install the programs on a used laptop, could anyone let me know what the recommended requirements are for the above programs so I can purchase the correct size laptop.

Thanks John

To move the keys use EVMoveW.exe which should be in:
Start/All Programs/Rockwell Software/Utilities/

The bad news (maybe!) is that XP will only move the activation back to a master floppy from Rockwell, unlike all other versions that would let you move the key to ANY floppy.

If there is any problem with the floppy, EVMove will report the unusable disk & simply not move the key off the hard drive - no danger of losing your activation.

To reset a corrupt activation, you have to be in one of Rockwells current $upport program$ , call them with your serial & key #'s and they will give you a reset code to enter in the reset program.

RSLogix will run on any platform from WIN95 to XP, I would reccommend your laptop include:
A built in Serial port (no USB or PCMCIA adapted port) (good luck!)
A DOS bootable floppy drive (again no USB or PCMCIA external)
At least 64MEG RAM, more is always better
Screen resolution at least 1024x768
PCMCIA type 2 slots
USB port
Pentium II, Celeron or better processor @ 350MHz or better

Due to the Floppy & Serial requirements I am using a 3 year old laptop I have been looking to replace, but unable to find a new one with them installed.

cnrservices said:
To reset a corrupt activation, you have to be in one of Rockwells current $upport program$ , call them with your serial & key #'s and they will give you a reset code to enter in the reset program.

You only have to have a current support contract to reset via the web. Resetting by phone can still be done a certain number of times.

You only have to have a current support contract to reset via the web.

They must changed their policy within the last year.

I was working at a stamping plant last year where they kept moving the only key they had between 3 desktops & 2 notebooks on almost a daily basis until it finally got copied "wrong" once & needed reset.

They only answer we got from AB was "out of service agreement - renew then call for the reset code."

Even the local distributor went to bat for them (the bought almost exclusively AB switches, PLC's, limit switches, relays, etc.) but they had to purchase a service agreement to get the reset code!

Make sure RSLinx is shutdown before running evmove. That is (or was) a sure-fire way to send your activation into a black hole.
Due to the Floppy & Serial requirements I am using a 3 year old laptop I have been looking to replace, but unable to find a new one with them installed.
I've recently been through the exercise and purchased an ASUS L5800. About twice the price of the commonly advertised notebooks and over-spec'd for my requirements, but includes a real serial port and built-in floppy drive - only one I could find locally. Although expensive, it was only about $200 more than I paid for my HP Omnibook 4 years ago.

You can also move your activation directly from one computer to another, assuming they are connected on a network.
From the computer you would like to move the activation to, you can map the computer drive you would like to move activation from.
Example: Activation is on Desktop.
Map Desktop drive to drive G on Laptop.
From laptop move activation from drive G: to drive C:

Note:
Don't forget to have RSLinx shut down on both machines.

Kim