Rslogix 5000 Firmware update questions

Group policy updated by Corporate so I need to get my local IT guy to login my laptop to allow VM to start.
Also have to call on him to allow a print driver to update itself.

Group policy updated by Corporate so I need to get my local IT guy to login my laptop to allow VM to start.
Also have to call on him to allow a print driver to update itself.

Have seen this many times before. Usually I have a good relationship with the IT guy who will grant me admin rights since it's kind of a requirement for my job.

If you don't have this kind of relationship with your IT guy you may need to make the case to your manager that you're in charge of programming millions of dollars worth of equipment and should therefore be able to install basic Windows drivers.

Or if you really want to get the point across wait until something major goes down and just sit there and let everyone know you can't do anything because you can't install a USB driver. Make sure to contact IT in a way that you know they will take forever to respond to (seems to be every communication method with IT in my experience). Watch how fast the company decides to change its policy :)

Or if you really want to get the point across wait until something major goes down and just sit there and let everyone know you can't do anything because you can't install a USB driver. Make sure to contact IT in a way that you know they will take forever to respond to (seems to be every communication method with IT in my experience). Watch how fast the company decides to change its policy :)
I've seen this back fire: "If you knew why you could not support it as part of your job, how come you didn't make a big deal about it?" I'm paraphrasing of course but the tables can turn depending on the individuals involved and if they are in the "cover my butt" mode.

I've seen this back fire: "If you knew why you could not support it as part of your job, how come you didn't make a big deal about it?" I'm paraphrasing of course but the tables can turn depending on the individuals involved and if they are in the "cover my butt" mode.

Yes I guess I should mention that only do this after you have politely requested and been denied the right to install these things. Usually your manager will not understand the importance of what you are asking until something like this opens their eyes.

For the production equipment we have engineering servers. This is for general laptop usage and our little air-gapped test system.
I can't install anything on the engineering servers, that the IT guys. I have a good relationship with them. They cannot give me admin rights as they are not allowed to do that from corporate.

I have full control of the VM, which also means all the USB connections. I can update firmware, config devices, etc without a request and justification for software to be installed on my laptop.
This is the 'workaround' that we figured out to be the best.

Speaking as the IT guy in this situation, If they didn't keep breaking their 'secret' laptops and asking us to fix them, we wouldn't care.

But because they want support, We're asking folks to standardize on a 'limited' number of FW revisions so support isn't a nightmare.
We do just provide a VM now w/ software preinstalled for them, Since patch revisions turned into a nightmare w/ every engineer having a different version of ViewSE and its patches installed and isn't THAT a cluster to fix after the fact.

This is why being an Ex-IT guy is useful.. I don't break my special tools...