Rslogix 5000 firmware revisions

Joe_Ghana

I am working for a client and currently installed on their computer studio 5000. they need to give me a backup file on their plc with rslogix 5000 with firmware revision 13.71. they are finding it difficult getting the backup file.

is there any firmware to be added to my rslogix 5000 with firmware 15.02 or Studio 5000 v33 to be able to take a backup from PLC with firmware version 13.71

If you want to backup or open a V13 program then you will need to install version 13 of RSLogix5000.

If you are given the file and you try to open it without having the correct version then it will prompt you to convert the program to one of the versions that you have installed.

Last edited:
It is not about not being able to open the file. it is about compatibility of the software with the program on the PLC. we are doing ugrade anyway and thus we need the backup file from the plc

As Alan said, you can open and work with the file.
But, you will need the correct version to make changes and download to the hardware, matching FW revs.
Install the v13 and you should be fine.
Other option is to upgrade the FW within the hardware to v15 or whatever you have currently on your PC.

I tried downloading the V13 to be able to take the backup but i received the below. is there any solution?

"The selected product/version is retired and its downloads are no longer available from the Product Compatibility and Download Center website (PCDC). We recommend upgrading to the latest version of this product if compatible with your current system."

if my memory is correct, if you don't have legacy Version under V20, but you have had version >= V20, you can call Rockwell automation hotline, they will give you legacy version under V20 for free using for one month.

I tried downloading the V13 to be able to take the backup but i received the below. is there any solution?

"The selected product/version is retired and its downloads are no longer available from the Product Compatibility and Download Center website (PCDC). We recommend upgrading to the latest version of this product if compatible with your current system."

It should give you the option to request to download it anyway.

I always enter "my system will not support the latest version" as the reason for unlock, and under the details section "Windows XP based computer" and it will unlock the download instantly