RSLogix 5000 Use Import Tool to Delete Tags

Paul Rousseau

Hello everyone.

I want to do a mass-deletion of tags in a PLC program. I want to know if I can create a .csv import file containing the tag names I want to delete, then use the "Tools -> Import -> Tags and Logic Comments" utility to delete them. This tool is great for tag/alias/comment modifications and additions, but can it do tag/alias deletions? If it can do tag/alias deletions, what is the record format required in the .csv file?

For example,

TYPE SCOPE NAME DESCRIPTION DATATYPE SPECIFIER ATTRIBUTES
TAG MyTag "This is a tag" REAL
ALIAS MyAlias "This is an alias" MyTag

will add or modify the tag, MyTag and alias, MyAlias. How would I go about making .csv entries to delete MyTag and MyAlias?

Thank you.

I don't know a way to delete tags when importing a csv database file. My experience is that existing tags are ignored if the tag does not appear in the import file and are only overwritten if the tag exists in the import file and 'overwrite' is selected.

You may find a workaround by creating a new project then importing logic from your original. You can copy and paste or create export file(s). This may be easier than searching for and manually deleting specific tags.

You won't be able to delete them via CSV file.

Why don't you just delete them in the tag editor? You can easily filter your tags in the editor, then select all --> delete.