RSLogix MSG Instrution

waxx

ENET, 2, 10.4.52.13, 1, 0

I have this on Communication Path under MSG instruction, I am not really sure how to interpret this ENET, 2, 10.4.52.13, 1, 0. Can somebody please explain it to me, I am trying to establish a communication between 2 AB controllers. Thanks :)

The ENET is your Ethernet module in the IO tree
,2 indicates go out the Ethernet cable (front door)
10.4.52.13 is the IP number of the destination device
,1 indicates out the back (back door)of the receiving module on the chassis backplane
,0 the message terminates in slot 2, which should be the destination processor.

How am I going to make 2 controllers to communicate using MSG instruction? I want to send data from PLC1 to PLC2, is there ways to do it. Rockwell manual is much complicated, hope you can show me the easiest way to do it. Thanks.

Is that path in your first post from a msg instruction in your program ?
Define what you want to do:
PLC 1 = IP address ??? / slot for processor is ??? slot for Ethernet card is ????
PLC 2 = IP address ??? / slot for processor is ??? slot for Ethernet card is ????

Do you wish to read data from another processor ?
If yes, what is the tag name which has the data you wish to read ?
What is the tag name where you wish to put the data?

If you wish to write to another PLC,
What is the tag name where the data is coming from?
What is the tag name where you wish to put the data?

Below are the details of my controllers and tags;
PLC 1 = IP address is aa.b.cc.13
= processor slot is 0
= slot for Ethernet card is 9
PLC 2 = IP address aa.b.cc.12
= slot for processor is 0
= slot for Ethernet card is 12

Do you wish to read data from another processor ? Yes
If yes, what is the tag name which has the data you wish to read ? Tag_1
What is the tag name where you wish to put the data? Tag_2

If you wish to write to another PLC,
What is the tag name where the data is coming from? Tag_2
What is the tag name where you wish to put the data? Tag_3

What will be the easiest way to do this, I am new to AB RSLogix 5000.
Your help is much appreciated.

Also, I used ENET, 2, aa.b.cc.13, 1, 0 to my PLC2 path but I am having an error code16#0004, Error path ENET, error Text IOI syntax error.

A great thanks.

How about the attached.
You did not provide complete IP addresses so, I improvised.
All the tags need to be created.
Tag_1 and Tag_2 should be the same type DINT / REALS

If you are doing this PLC1 to read/write to PLC2 then your path is wrong, it should be the IP of the destination PLC.

There's a less confusing way if both of the PLC are contrologix. Just add the other PLC into the IO configuration. Also, I suggest using Read instead of Write so you don't have "mystery" data that cross-reference can't find.

Assuming you are reading Tag1 from PLC-A on PLC-B. Open up the PLC-B program, navigate to IO Configuration on your Controller Organizer windows, which usually sits on the left side of the programming environment.

- Expand out your ENet card then right click "Ethernet" and choose "New Module",
- enter the other PLC rack's Enet module info - pick a name, enter the IP, slot location (of the Enet), and make sure to change the module defniation to set the rack size and revision #.
- ONce you create the module, navigate over to the module's backplane then add the other PLC by right-lick on the backplane and select "New Module". Follow similar step as above to add the other PLC.
- Now, you can simply use the name of the other PLC in your message configuration or you can use Produce/Consumer tag.
- For using Message, CIP-Datatable-Read or Write is what you want between two contrologix.

The above is covered starting page 62, Rockwell Publication enet-um001, Ethernet IP Network Configuration Manual. A picture of a sample path is on page 63.

Look for Rockwell document, 1756-pm012_-en-p, Logix 5k Message for more infomation.

I am having an error in ER in my MSG instruction and do I need to be offline in adding a new ENET module?

I am having an error in ER in my MSG instruction and do I need to be offline in adding a new ENET module?
You can be online, at least in the newer versions. You might to start a new thread for your issue and give more details there.

Why go MSG route instead of produced / consumed tags?

I believe creating new produced/consumed tags requires a download. Creating a MSG can be done whilst online. MSG can also transmit data to/from PLC5/SLC processors. Downtime is a rarity and older processors are plentiful at our facility, so I stuck with MSGs.

ENET, 2, 10.4.52.13, 1, 0

I have this on Communication Path under MSG instruction, I am not really sure how to interpret this ENET, 2, 10.4.52.13, 1, 0. Can somebody please explain it to me, I am trying to establish a communication between 2 AB controllers. Thanks :)

If you read the RSLogix general programming manual, it is very clear how that path name is created.

If you read the RSLogix general programming manual, it is very clear how that path name is created.
Over the years, I've learned that some Rockwell manuals & tech notes clearly break down the path definition while others assume that the user knows and understands how the path is created.

For the sake of future reference, the RSLogix5000 Controllers General Instructions Reference Manual describes MSG instruction details in chapter 4, with path specifications detailed on pp 179-181.