RSLogix v20.01 corrupt file (sort of)

phuz

Working with a customer today and they have qualified a bunch of changes today on this 1756-L73 v20.01. It crashes with a "fatal application error" message. The file itself opens fine, but if you do a VERIFY or try to save it as an L5K (to maybe import it as a new file), it crashes. We tried downloading to the controller with this program and it crashes. Since the program opens, I am hoping to find a way to salvage this program (copying rungs to a new program will not suffice). If we can't salvage the program, they will have to revert to the last good copy, re-add the changes, and re-qualify the system.

Hoping for a resolution!

DISCLAIMER: this is all pure guesswork – but here's what I *THINK* about your situation ...

every time I've ever run into a "Fatal Application Error" – it always seems to have been a problem with RSLogix 5000 – and not with the actual .ACD project file ...

I'd try this ...

reboot your computer ... then shut down everything possible running on your computer – so that it's ONLY running what you absolutely must have running ... then try to do your operations again ... and by all means stay away from "First Page" ... if it pops up at all – then turn it off in the Tools/Options settings – and reboot again ...

if another computer is available, try using that one and see if you get the same "Fatal Application Error" ... in some (rare) cases, I've had to reinstall the RSLogix 5000 software ...

the main point of what I'm trying to say is that (based on my experience) the "Fatal Application Error" seems to be referring to the RSLogix 5000 application – and not to the project file (ACD) that loads into the ControlLogix processor ... note that I am completely willing to be corrected on this ...

========================

and on another point ...

are you aware of the differences between V20.01 and V20.03? ... I doubt that has anything to do with the problem you're reporting – but ask the forum for clarification if you don't know what I'm talking about ...

Last edited:
Thanks guys, but this is NOT a Logix issue. This file was passed between three computers and it crashes on all three. Other files are fine. File version is 20.01 and because I am an integrator who deals with customers having both 20.01 and 20.03, I am already using 20.04.

Like I said, the file opens fine. Certain things, like "Verify Controller" and "Estimate" in the memory tab of the controller properties. I can verify individual routines without problem.
This actually isn't a project I had worked on, but I trying to help another integrator that works for the same customer.

This is the error dump I get:

Wed Dec 30 17:57:57 2015

Fatal Error!

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\ENU\v20\Bin\RS5000.exe
Elapsed execution time: 5 minutes & 54 seconds

Version: V20.04.00 (Release)

OS Version: Windows 7 64-bit (Service Pack 1 - Build 7601)
Thread Id: 00000274 (628)

Error 0xc0150010 (-1072365552)

0xc0150010 - No message available for error.

One project file is currently open:

C:\RSLOGIX 5000\PROJECTS\Platform362.ACD
Work Path: C:\Users\XXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\RSLogix5000.Temp\AB_26E9\AB_0BB3
Time open: 5 minutes & 46 seconds

Last edited:
Copying rungs and data out of and into another program is as easy as opening two instances of RSL5K and using ctrl-c and ctrl-v.

Also addressed in my first post.
This will not suffice because it requires rebuilding the entire program and therefore requires re-qualification. The idea here is to salvage the program to avoid this.

Also addressed in my first post.
This will not suffice because it requires rebuilding the entire program and therefore requires re-qualification. The idea here is to salvage the program to avoid this.

I was refering to starting with a copy of the earlier good version and updating it with the changes.

Not sure what you mean by re-qualification, but it sounds like every method I use for restoring problems like this have been discounted so it sounds like re-typing it in is the only answer.

Not sure what you mean by re-qualification, but it sounds like every method I use for restoring problems like this have been discounted so it sounds like re-typing it in is the only answer.

In a pharmaceutical environment (and other industries), everything is tested and documented. If those changes have to be re-made because of a special circumstance such as this, they need to be re-tested and re-documented.
A system is not qualified until it has gone through this process.