RSLogix - what's the point of remote program?

fireattack

Hi everyone, I'm a new newbie of PLC and currently I'm mainly using RSLogix 1000 (*edited, should be 1000) and Micro (for emulation use at home) to program.

A thing I never understand is what the point of "remote program" mode is. I mean, every single time I finished an offline work, I need to download it to my PLC and then change the mode to remote run.

In remote program mode, you can neither do any modification to ladder logic, nor your real PLC will response to inputs.. so what's that mode for? I searched for a while but didn't get a clear answer.

Thank you!

Last edited:
In remote program mode, you can neither do any modification to ladder logic, nor your real PLC will do response to input.. so what's that mode for? I searched for a while but didn't get a clear answer.

Thank you!

It depends on a few things... such as the software you are using and the CPU you are connected to, for the most part say like a MicroLogix 1000 you have to make the changes 'off line" then download to the CPU, with a 5/05 you can make the changes online (in remote) and then make them active by excepting the rung edits

Next time you are programming a 5/0x try double clicking the left side of the rung and see if it changes, it should make another rung below that you can compare to and make the changes to the top rung, once done you can save and enable the changes

Welcome to the Forum !

Most A-B controllers have a keyswitch to control the system mode.

RUN mode does not allow edits or changes to the system mode over a network.

PROGRAM mode allows edits but the program does not execute, and the mode cannot be changed over the network.

The "Remote Run" and "Remote Program" modes allow edits to be done and allow the mode to be changed over the network. The difference, of course, is the in RUN mode the program is executing and the outputs are being controlled.

The MicroLogix 1000 and 1200 controllers don't have keyswitches or mode switches, and don't support online editing.

Instead of changing the mode indicator icon and mode names in RSLogix 500 just for those controllers, the OS and software just consider the two modes of the controller to be Remote Run and Remote Program.

There is no physical switch to change from Run to Program, so both modes are controlled only over the serial link, so they're both "Remote".